[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 28, Number 28

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Jun 14 18:20:28 PDT 2018

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 28, Number 28
Jun.14,2018

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. Announcements and Call for Student Poster Competition Judges

2. GEMstone: 2018 Liaison Reports

3. Soliciting Talks to AGU session “Wave Processes in Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupling”

1. Announcements and Call for Student Poster Competition Judges
From: Jacob Bortnik (jbortnik at atmos.ucla.edu)

Dear GEM friends and colleagues,

I hope you are all busy with final preparations for the upcoming GEM workshop and I look forward to seeing many of you in Santa Fe next week!  Below are few items to note:

Please be aware that the detailed GEM workshop schedule is now available on the GEM wiki, and this will be dynamically updated by focus group leaders throughout the meeting, so please check it often: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/2018_GEM_Workshop_and_GEM-CEDAR_Joint_Workshop

The GEM workshop website (http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html) contains all the latest information and updates on travel, local conditions, and schedules, as well as the CEDAR/GEM overlap day on June 23rd:   http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/GEM-CEDARworkshopagenda.pdf

Last, but certainly not least, I'd like to echo a call for volunteers for the student poster competition, issues by our dedicated GEM Student Representatives, Suzanne Smith and Ryan Dewey (below).  Remember that many of us were once GEM students and benefited tremendously from the guidance of our colleagues.

"Each year, we organize the GEM Student Poster Competition to provide students critical & constructive feedback on their work and presentation skills. This year, we have 63 students split between the Tuesday/Thursday evening poster sessions. We are currently seeking volunteers to act as anonymous judges for a small handful of students each. The students always appreciate feedback on their presentations, and we cannot express our gratitude enough for the volunteers that enable us to host this competition each year.  Please do fill out the form attached to this link: https://goo.gl/forms/cS9TAPUvlnVTKaYo1"

See you shortly in Santa Fe!
Jacob Bortnik

2. GEMstone: 2018 Liaison Reports
From: Peter Chi (pchi at igpp.ucla.edu)

The GEMstone Newsletter, Volume 28, Number 2, is the 2018 issue of GEM Liaison reports. This special issue is now available online at:

http://spc.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/GEMstone/GEMstone_Vol28_No2.pdf

The content includes:
- Notes from GEM Chair
- Notes from Program Director
- CEDAR Liaison Report
- SHINE Liaison Report
- NOAA Liaison Report
- AFRL Liaison Report
- USGS Liaison Report
- Australia Liaison Report
- China Liaison Report
- ESA Liaison Report
- ISAS Liaison Report
- South Korea Liaison Report
- Taiwan Liaison Report

Past issues of the GEMstone Newsletter can be found online at http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/GEMstone_Newsletter

3. Soliciting Talks to AGU session “Wave Processes in Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupling”
From: David Malaspina, Lynn Harvey, Mark Golkowski, Katelynn Greer (David.Malaspina at colorado.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to the “Wave Processes in Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupling” session at the 2018 Fall AGU meeting.

This session will explore the role of wave processes in coupling the magnetosphere, ionosphere, and thermosphere. Wave-related coupling phenomena of interest to this session include those carrying energy away from Earth (e.g. ion outflow, gravity/planetary wave breaking, tides, terrestrial VLF sources), and those carrying energy toward Earth (e.g. particle precipitation, Earthward Poynting flux).

Of particular interest are studies bringing new information to persistent problems (e.g. wave transmission via density ducts, Joule heating dynamics, thermospheric neutral gas wave dynamics), and studies that set the stage for near-future missions such as Geospace Dynamics Constellation (GDC).

Link to abstract submission:
https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/abstract-submissions/

Session ID: 44102
Session Title: SM027. Wave Processes in Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupling
Section/Focus Group: SPA-Magnetospheric Physics
View Session Details: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/gateway.cgi

Your session conveners,
David Malaspina, Lynn Harvey, Mark Golkowski, Katelynn Greer

Full session description:

The magnetosphere, ionosphere, and thermosphere are coupled via neutral gas, charged particles, and electromagnetic fields across many spatial and temporal scales. Now is an exciting time to study this coupling as near- Earth space becomes more accessible, physically via observations, and computationally by faster, more capable models.

Coupling phenomena include those carrying energy away from Earth (ion outflow, gravity/planetary wave breaking, tides, terrestrial VLF sources), and those carrying energy toward Earth (particle precipitation, Earthward Poynting flux). All these can be modulated and/or mediated by a diverse set of waves.

This session solicits observational, analytic, and modeling studies of wave properties and dynamics as they impact coupling between the magnetosphere, ionosphere, and thermosphere. Of particular interest are studies bringing new information to persistent problems (e.g. wave transmission via density ducts, Joule heating dynamics, thermospheric neutral gas wave dynamics), and studies that set the stage for near-future missions such as Geospace Dynamics Constellation (GDC).

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

For any other questions, please contact Peter Chi, GEM Communications Coordinator, at <pchi at igpp.ucla.edu>

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html