[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 28, Number 29

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Jun 28 17:00:29 PDT 2018

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 28, Number 29
Jun.28,2018

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. Summary of the 2018 GEM Summer Workshop

2. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Fellow Position in Space Plasma Physics at West Virginia University

3. JOB OPENING: Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist in Magnetospheric Physics at GFZ Potsdam

4. AGU Session: Near Real-Time/Low Latency Data for Earth Science and Space Weather Applications

1. Summary of the 2018 GEM Summer Workshop
From: Jacob Bortnik on behalf of the GEM Steering Committee (jbortnik at atmos.ucla.edu)

The 2018 GEM summer workshop took place in sunny Santa Fe over the week of 17-23 June 2018.  The workshop was attended by a record 297 participants, 73 of whom were students.  The registration surpassed last year’s total by 68  (an increase of 30%), and represented 30 institutions and 12 different countries spanning 4 continents.  This year we organized the GEM meeting such that it was back-to-back with the CEDAR meeting, and had a CEDAR-GEM “overlap” day on Saturday 23rd June.  This arrangement proved to be very effective, and was attended by 128 people, representing a large fraction of both CEDAR and GEM communities.

With a renewed emphasis on workshop-style sessions, we saw a large number of Focus Group leaders include diversified elements into their line-up including discussions and panel sessions.  Two of our GEM plenaries were presented in a panel format, and one plenary speaker gets a tip of the hat for giving his talk entirely online (possibly for the first time in GEM history).

We also held a special plenary session on Monday evening dealing with the pervasive issue of microagressions.  This was well received and widely discussed afterwards.  We would ask all those who attended to please fill out the follow-up survey and let us know what you thought (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YGCQLJS), by Friday July 13, 2018.

This year marked the regular rotation of half of our Research Area Coordinators (RACs) and we thank Katariina Nykyri (SWMI), Andrei Runov (MPS), Scot Elkington (IMAG), Marc Lessard (MIC), and Frank Toffoletto (GSM) for their service on the GEM Steering Committee (SC), as well as Weichao Tu (at-large member) and Suzanne Smith (student representative).  We welcome our new members: Brian Walsh (SWMI), Chih-Ping Wang (MPS), Raluca Ilie (IMAG), Hyunju Connor (MIC), and John Lyon (GSM) as the RAC’s, as well as Allison Jaynes (at-large member) and Matthew Cooper (student representative).   Thanks to off- and on-rotating SC members for your time and effort in serving the GEM community.

As always we thank you, the GEM community, for your energy and enthusiasm in making a meeting that is truly unique, and inspires us all the do our best science.

We look forward to seeing you all at mini-GEM in December!

2. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Fellow Position in Space Plasma Physics at West Virginia University
From: Weichao Tu (wetu at mail.wvu.edu)

The West Virginia University Research Corporation (WVURC) seeks to hire a Postdoctoral Fellow –Space Plasma Physics in the Department of Physics & Astronomy at West Virginia University. This position supports the research in inner magnetospheric physics by Prof. Tu’s group, with a particular emphasis on studying and modeling the dynamics of the Van Allen radiation belts. Incumbent will have the opportunity to work on research projects involving data analysis, theory development, and numerical modeling.

Requirements: (1) A PhD in physics, space physics, plasma physics, or a related discipline; (2) previous research experience in space plasma physics; (3) expertise in scientific programming, preferably in C and/or FORTRAN. Preference will be given to applicants who possess previous research experience in inner magnetospheric physics and particle simulations (for example, radiation belts, wave-particle interactions).

Competitive salary and benefits package offered. For a complete job description and to apply for this position, please visit https://wvu.taleo.net/careersection/wvu_research/jobdetail.ftl?job=08827&tz=GMT-04%3A00 and click on the “Apply Online” link.

Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references as part of the application process. For questions or additional information, contact Prof. Weichao Tu at wetu at mail.wvu.edu.  Please refer to http://tuweichao.wixsite.com/home and physics.wvu.edu for additional information about the research in our group and other plasma physics research in the department. Review of applications will begin June 11, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. Start date in Fall 2018 is desirable.

WVURC is an AA/EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability/E-verify compliant employer.

3. JOB OPENING: Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist in Magnetospheric Physics at GFZ Potsdam
From: Yuri Shprits (yshprits at gfz-potsdam.de)

A position of Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist in Magnetospheric Physics is available in the Department of Geophysics, GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, Potsdam, Germany. The start date is flexible, but Winter 2018 is preferred. Candidates should have a Ph.D. in physics, mathematics, geophysics or related fields. Experience is required in one or more of the following: magnetospheric physics, ionospheric physics, heliophysics,  planetary magnetospheres and numerical modelling. The initial appointment is for one year, renewable for an additional two years subject to satisfactory performance. Your application should include a cover letter, a CV including a full publication list, a statement of research interests and the names and contact details of 3-5 independent referees. For questions please contact Prof. Yuri Shprits at yshprits at gfz-potsdam.de.

The application should be submitted through GFZ's online application portal: https://tinyurl.com/ydfndtpt

4. AGU Session: Near Real-Time/Low Latency Data for Earth Science and Space Weather Applications