[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 28, Number 19

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue May 15 14:19:34 PDT 2018

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 28, Number 19
May.15,2018

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. RFI for National Space Weather Strategy

2. GEM Workshop Announcement

3. Ionospheric Outflow Focus Group Sessions at the 2018 GEM Summer Workshop

4. Call for participation in GEM-MIT coupling sessions on Friday before the GEM-CEDAR joint workshop

5. Analyzing MMS data with SPEDAS at GEM

6. Announcement of GDC STDT Formation and Kick-off Meeting

7. Special issue on Active Experiments in Space

1. RFI for National Space Weather Strategy
From: Jacob Bortnik (jbortnik at atmos.ucla.edu)

The National Science and Technology Council has announced its intent to update the National Space Weather Strategy. A Request for Information (RFI) has been published in the Federal Register that seeks input from the public on ways to improve Federal government coordination of programs and activities to enhance national preparedness to space weather events. SWPC encourages all interested parties to review the RFI and provide feedback. The RFI can be accessed at:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/04/20/2018-08336/developing-an-update-to-the-national-space-weather-strategy

Comments are due by May 16, 2018.

2. GEM Workshop Announcement
From: Zhonghua Xu (zxu77 at vt.edu)

Dear GEM workshop participants:

A room block (consisting of double rooms) at the Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza is now available for GEM workshop participants. The information is as follows:

Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza
Reservations phone: 1-800-774-1500 / 505-988-2811
Reservations email: Carla.montoya at hilton.com

Ask for the GEM Summer Workshop 2018 and refer to the group reservation code: GEM
If there are any questions, please feel free to contact Zhonghua XU (zxu77 at vt.edu) or Ashley Baker (frost at vt.edu)

3. Ionospheric Outflow Focus Group Sessions at the 2018 GEM Summer Workshop
From: Shasha Zou, Barbara Giles, Vince Eccles, Rick Chappell (barbara.giles at nasa.gov)

The Merged Modeling and Measurement of Injection of Ionospheric Plasma into the Magnetosphere (M3I2) and Its Effects—Plasma Sheet, Ring Current, Substorm Dynamics GEM focus group will have four sessions at the upcoming GEM meeting in Santa Fe. The focus group sessions will take place on Thursday, June 21 at 10:30 am, 1:00 pm and 3:30 pm and Friday, June 22 at 10:30 am.

Please bookmark/watch the GEM wiki page for detailed information and continued updates: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/GEM_M3-I2_Sessions_June_17-23%2C_2018

We will be focusing on upflow/outflow from the ionosphere, effects of outflow on the magnetosphere, and merged modeling of ionospheric outflow and magnetosphere population and dynamics. The fourth session will have open discussion and planning for future focus group activities.

We will have a few invited talks to set the stage for the sessions, and will arrange the sessions in the workshop mode so that everyone can show their data and models. Participants are encouraged to make shorter, rapid-fire contributions -- a few charts only, no formal intro or conclusions needed -- related to the topics of the sessions. Preliminary results and conflicting points of view are especially helpful during a workshop format.

Our focus group had previously identified two storm periods for coordinated study, so if you have information on these, we especially encourage you to share those during the workshop sessions. During the planning session we anticipate choosing additional more recent special periods to encourage the use of new data from the several relevant missions in flight, including ePOP, MMS, THEMIS, Geotail, Cluster, ARASE, and the Van Allen Probes.

Participants are also encouraged to show new and newly restored observational data. We are planning a prize for the person(s) that can say the full title of our focus group fluently and from memory.

Please send the title of your contribution and the session in which you would like to present to the session organizers as soon as you are able.  Since this is a workshop, placeholder titles are expected and perfectly acceptable.  Email addresses are posted at the link given above.

We look forward to seeing you at GEM.
 Barbara Giles, Shasha Zou, Vince Eccles, Rick Chappell

4. Call for participation in GEM-MIT coupling sessions on Friday before the GEM-CEDAR joint workshop
From: Hyunju Connor (hkconnor at alaska.edu)

Dear GEM and CEDAR scientists,

I would like to invite you to participate in a GEM focus group titled “3-dimensional Ionospheric Electrodynamics and its impact on the Magnetosphere - Ionosphere - Thermosphere coupling (IEMIT)”. Two sessions are scheduled at 1:30-3:00pm and 3:30-5:00 pm on Jun 22, Friday before the GEM-CEDAR joint workshop, in Eldorado Hotel & Spa, Santa Fe, NM.  The first session will be a joint session with another GEM focus group titled “Inter-hemispheric Approaches to Understand M-I Coupling (IHMIC)”, and the second session will be solely for the IEMIT focus group.

Since our IEMIT sessions are scheduled on Friday before the GEM-CEDAR workshop, we think that this is a great opportunity for both GEM and CEDAR scientists to join and discuss the recent results in the MI, IT, or MIT fields. This session will create synergy between the two communities and help to advance our physics-based understanding of the global MIT system. The detailed session description can be found at the following website:
http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/FG:_3D_Ionospheric_Electrodynamics_and_Its_Impact_on_the_Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere_Coupled_System.

If you are interested in giving a talk, please send the title of your talk and the session you are interested in (joint IEMIT-IHMIC session or IEMIT session) to Hyunju Connor at (hkconnor at alaska.edu). We are looking forward to your participation.

Thank you very much,
Hyunju Connor, Binzheng Zhang, Gang Lu, and Haje Korth.

5. Analyzing MMS data with SPEDAS at GEM
From: Eric Grimes, Jim Lewis, Vassilis Angelopoulos and the SPEDAS team (egrimes at igpp.ucla.edu)

The SPEDAS development team invites you to a tutorial / demo session we'll be holding on analyzing MMS data using SPEDAS at this year's GEM meeting in Santa Fe, NM on Friday, June 22 at 1:30-3:00 PM.

If there are any particular questions or topics of general interest that you’d like to see covered, please send your suggestions to Eric Grimes, egrimes at igpp.ucla.edu, and we’ll try to work them in.

Tentative agenda:
- What's New / Plug-in Status
- Getting Started
- Analysis Tools
- Getting Help

Eric Grimes (egrimes at igpp.ucla.edu), Jim Lewis, Vassilis Angelopoulos and the SPEDAS team

6. Announcement of GDC STDT Formation and Kick-off Meeting
From: Jared Leisner (jared.s.leisner at nasa.gov)

NASA is pleased to announce the formation of the Geospace Dynamics Constellation (GDC) Science and Technology Definition Team (STDT). This STDT is established as a task group of the Heliophysics Advisory Committee in order to define a compelling and executable mission concept for GDC, the next Living With a Star Program mission prioritized by the National Academies’ 2013 Decadal Survey for Heliophysics.

The STDT’s kick-off meeting will be held on May 15-18th, and the public is invited to attend virtually. This initial meeting will focus on defining the GDC science objectives, starting from the Decadal Survey’s recommendations; discussion of scientific measurements and mission architectures will take place at a later meeting. Due to the meeting format, the public will not be able to comment during the meeting itself but public comments may be submitted via email (instructions can be found on the Public Comments link on the STDT webpage).

For information on the STDT membership, the kick-off meeting, or submitting comments to the STDT, please visit the GDC STDT webpage.

GDC STDT webpage: https://science.nasa.gov/heliophysics/resources/stdts/geospace-dynamics-constellation

7. Special issue on Active Experiments in Space
From: Joe Borovsky, Evgeny Mishin, Gian Luca Delzanno (delzanno at lanl.gov)

Dear Colleagues,

a friendly reminder that the deadline for the special issue on ‘Active Experiments in Space: Past, Present, and Future’ is June 1st 2018.
More info can be found at
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/7937/active-experiments-in-space-past-present-and-future

Sincerely,

Joe Borovsky
Evgeny Mishin
Gian Luca Delzanno

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

For any other questions, please contact Peter Chi, GEM Communications Coordinator, at <pchi at igpp.ucla.edu>

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html