[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXIII, Issue 28

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon May 30 22:51:23 PDT 2016

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXIII, Issue 28
May.31,2016

Editor: Peter Chi
Co-Editor: Guan Le
Distribution Support: Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, Todd King, Kevin Addison
E-mail: editor at igpp.ucla.edu

Table of Contents

1. Notice of Intent to Initiate Environamental Review for Arecibo Observatory

2. MEETING: Pencil Code (a high-order finite-difference code for compressible MHD) Meeting in Graz/Austria, 8 - 12 August 2016

3. SESSION: SHINE 2016 Session "The Origin of Non-Eruptive Large Flares": Call for Abstracts

4. SESSION: SHINE 2016 Session "Coronal magnetic field in the context of the spatial and temporal behavior of SEP events"

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Notice of Intent to Initiate Environamental Review for Arecibo Observatory

From: John Meriwether, National Science Foundation (jmeriwet at nsf.gov)

The National Science Foundation has issued a Notice of Intent (NOI) to Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement and Initiate Section 106 Consultation for Proposed Changes to Arecibo Observatory Operations, Arecibo, Puerto Rico and Notice of Public Scoping Meetings and Comment Period.  As indicated in the NOI, scoping comments may be submitted to the National Science Foundation during the public comment period, which extends through June 23, 2016, via email (envcomp-AST at nsf.gov) or via mail to Ms. Elizabeth Pentecost, National Science Foundation Division of Astronomical Sciences, Suite 1045, 4201 Wilson Blvd, Arlington VA 22230.  Comments may also be provided during the two public scoping meetings scheduled for June 7, 2016 at the following locations:

1.  Daytime meeting:
June 7, 2016, 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
DoubleTree by Hilton San Juan
105 Avenida De Diego
San Juan, PR
Phone:  (787) 721-6500

2.  Evening meeting:
June 7, 2016, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Colegio de Ingenieros y Agrimensores de Puerto Rico/
Puerto Rico Professional College of Engineers and Land Surveyors (Arecibo Chapter)
Ave. Manuel T. Guillán Urdaz
Conector 129 Carr. 10
Arecibo, Puerto Rico
Phone:  (787) 758-2250

Federal Register: Arecibo Notice Of Intent
Information will be posted throughout the process at: www.nsf.gov/AST. Please note that comments must be submitted via the mechanisms described above in order to be considered.

Paul B. Shepson, Division Director, Division of Atmospheric and Geospace Sciences
James S. Ulvestad, Division Director, Division of Astronomical Sciences

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Philippe-A. Bourdin (pc16 at Bourdin.ch)

The Pencil Code meeting addresses to everyone interested in or using the Pencil Code. We usually hold scientific presentations together with technical discussions. For the first time, we will offer also hands-on sessions for beginners. You get into contact with experts from diverse fields of Astrophysics, Solar physics, and Space research, mainly doing magneto-hydrodynamic (MHD) simulations, some using particles or chemistry in hydrodynamics.

The registration is free of costs. Graz has several UNESCO cultural heritage sites and lies in the south of the Alpes mountains. The venue is the Space Research Institute (IWF) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Please submit you registration and find further details here:

http://pencil-code.nordita.org/UserMeetings/2016/

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

SESSION: SHINE 2016 Session "The Origin of Non-Eruptive Large Flares": Call for Abstracts

From: Xudong Sun (xudong at sun.stanford.edu)

shinecon.org/shine2016/session2016.php#session19

In this year’s SHINE workshop session “The Origin of Non-Eruptive Large Flares”, we solicit discussions focusing on the conditions that determine whether large flares are eruptive (i.e. associated with a CME) or non-eruptive. Questions of particular interest include:

— What are those conditions and can we predict them based on photospheric magnetograms and other observations?
— Are different initiation and energy dissipation mechanisms responsible for eruptive and non-eruptive flares?
— How can we effectively compare results from theoretical, numerical, laboratory and observational works?

We welcome poster presentations as well as contributions to the discussion (Tuesday morning, July 12th). Our invited scene-setting speakers will provide brief reviews on observations, numerical modeling, and laboratory experiments. The abstract deadline for poster presentations is June 9th. Please contact the conveners if you like to present 1-2 slides at the discussion.

Conveners: Xudong Sun, Tibor Torok, & Nariaki Nitta

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

SESSION: SHINE 2016 Session "Coronal magnetic field in the context of the spatial and temporal behavior of SEP events"

From: Nariaki Nitta (nitta at lmsal.com)

http://shinecon.org/shine2016/session2016.php#session3

It is widely agreed that the coronal magnetic field is of critical importance in understanding many phenomena that originate from the Sun.  We have organized a session at this year’s SHINE Workshop to actively discuss the current state of coronal magnetic field observations and modeling.  We will focus on the following questions: how are current observations and modeling used to compute key parameters in heliospheric events, and how can we improve our understanding with existing and/or future data and tools.

The proposed session was motivated by solar energetic particle (SEP) events that were observed at widely separate longitudes in the heliosphere rather quickly after the eruption (e.g. the “circumsolar” SEP event on 3 November 2011).  Making further progress on our understanding of these wide-longitude events will rely on a more sophisticated use of magnetic field data and modeling.  The five most recent SHINE Workshops hosted sessions that discussed closely related topics. This year our focus is on the coronal magnetic field as it relates to both SEP and non-SEP topics.
If you have an interest in any aspects of the coronal magnetic field such as measurement, modeling, application, etc, please attend our session. The invited scene-setting speakers will introduce the current state of coronal magnetic field studies and trigger further discussions on inter-related subjects.  As in other SHINE sessions, the primary contributions will be in the form of a poster: note the 9 June deadline for the abstract. If you are interested in presenting related work during the session itself (one or two slides), please inform the conveners of the subject matter.

Conveners: Nariaki Nitta, Ming Zhang, Eric Christian and Georgia de Nolfo

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately twice weekly. Back issues are available at:

http://spa.agu.org/category/newsletters/

NEW: To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

NEW: To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

Note: Announcements for SPA-related sessions at major conferences, such as AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, and IAGA Meetings, are distributed in special issues of the Newsletter.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/