[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVII, Issue 24

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 21 18:53:56 PDT 2020

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVII, Issue 24
Apr.21,2020

Table of Contents

1. Call for Nominations: NASEM Study on Earth System Science

2. NASA DRIVE Science Center for Geospace Storms (CGS) Seeks Community Input

3. 1st SCOSTEP/PRESTO Online Seminar - May 26, 2020

4. Magnetosphere Online Seminars

5. 1 Week Left! Heliophysics Mission Design School Applications Now Due April 27, 2020

6. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position at Chungnam National University, South Korea

7. JOB OPENING: Postoc Position at the University of Cologne, Germany

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Call for Nominations: NASEM Study on Earth System Science

From: Michael Wiltberger (mwiltber at nsf.gov)

The National Science Foundation has asked the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to convene an ad hoc committee to undertake a study that develops a compelling vision for a systems approach to studying the Earth and identifies facilities, infrastructure, coordinating mechanisms, computing, and workforce development needed to support that vision.

The committee’s report will:
1.	Describe the potential value and key characteristics of a robust, integrated approach for studying the Earth system.
2.	Discuss emerging opportunities and barriers to progress for achieving this vision, including consideration of the interdependencies and synergies among all components.
3.	Identify potential synergistic opportunities within current facilities, infrastructure, and coordinating mechanisms to address the overarching capabilities, and recommend ways to leverage these efforts for Earth systems research. Ideas for new approaches, facilities, infrastructure, and coordinating mechanisms may also be considered.
4.	Discuss computational, data, and analytic support for Earth systems research, including guidance on harnessing existing, planned, and future NSF-supported cyberinfrastructure.
5.	Discuss workforce development to support the personnel needed to advance Earth systems research. This could include undergraduate and graduate education, technical training to support facilities and infrastructure, and increasing diversity and inclusion in the future workforce. This will draw upon scholarship related to workforce development and broadening participation to consider new and existing approaches.

We are currently in the process of putting together our committee, and need your help. We are looking for committee members with cross-disciplinary expertise in the fields of behavioral, social, and economic sciences; atmospheric science; climate science; biology and ecology; oceanography; hydrology; geology and geophysics; cryosphere; computer and data science; education and workforce development; engineering; and complex systems, biogeochemistry, and critical zones. Ideal committee members will have experience working on integrated research questions and teams, as well as in taking a systems approach to research.

See the call for nominations form for additional information and to make a nomination: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5558837/Advancing-a-Systems-Approach-to-Studying-the-Earth-A-Strategy-for-the-National-Science-Foundation.

We are asking for nominations by Wednesday, May 13. We look forward to your vital input! Please contact Erin Kellogg at ekellog at nas.edu if you have any questions.

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

NASA DRIVE Science Center for Geospace Storms (CGS) Seeks Community Input

From: Slava Merkin (slava.merkin at jhuapl.edu)

The Center for Geospace Storms (CGS) is one of the DRIVE Science Centers selected by NASA for Phase I. A press release about CGS has recently been published here: https://www.jhuapl.edu/PressRelease/200408. With this short note, we would like to express our commitment to working with the community both to communicate what we expect to achieve and to solicit feedback, ideas and suggestions as to how the Center’s activities can be made most useful to the community and address problems of a broad interest. While the team is working to build a robust means of interaction with the community (e.g., through the website we are developing), we welcome your thoughts at the following webpage, where you can also find the CGS project summary:  cgs.jhuapl.edu/feedback.

We also would like to make everyone aware of the dates of the 1st CGS Workshop to be held at JHU/APL the week of 9-13 Nov 2020. We are currently planning to have 1-2 days during that week open to the community and will work to make both in person (assuming we’re back to normal by then) and virtual presentation options available. Details and logistics will be worked out as we are approaching that date.

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

1st SCOSTEP/PRESTO Online Seminar - May 26, 2020

From: Ramon Lopez, Katja Matthes, Jie Zhang, Patricia Doherty (patricia.doherty at bc.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

PRESTO (Predictability of the Variable Solar-terrestrial Coupling) is the new SCOSTEP 5-year program of 2020-2024.  With the current difficulties of hosting face-to-face meetings, SCOSTEP/PRESTO will host online seminars.  We are pleased to announce that the 1st SCOSTEP/PRESTO online seminar will be held on May 26, 2020.  The speaker will be Dr. Kanya Kusano of ISEE, Nagoya, Japan.  If you are interested, please register for the seminar via the zoom registration link shown below.  Please also view the SCOSTEP website (www.bc.edu/SCOSTEP) for more information on PRESTO.

Ramon Lopez (PRESTO chair)
Katja Matthes and Jie Zhang (PRESTO co-chair)

Title: A Challenge to Physics-based Prediction of Giant Solar Flares

Author: Kanya Kusano (Institute for Space-Earth Environmental Research (ISEE), Nagoya University, Japan)

Date/time: May 26 (Tue), 2020, 12:00-13:00 UT

Zoom Registration URL:
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_rCd6IEGhSM-M7pI7oobk-A

Abstract:
Solar flares are catastrophic explosions in the solar corona and may potentially cause a severe space weather disaster. However, because the onset mechanism of solar flares is not yet well elucidated, most of the flare forecasts in operation rely on empirical methods. We recently developed a new physics-based model, called the -scheme, for predicting giant solar flares as one of the major outcomes of the Project for Solar-Terrestrial Environment Prediction (PSTEP), which is the Japanese nation-wide project for space weather and space climate study. The -scheme is able to predict imminent giant solar flares through the critical condition of magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) instability triggered by magnetic reconnection. An analysis of the largest solar flares in solar cycle 24 indicates that the -scheme can provide precise information, including location and size, of possible giant solar flares with a small exception. Through this study, we also discovered that the magnetic twist flux density in the vicinity of the magnetic polarity inversion line (PIL) on the solar surface plays a crucial role in determining when, where, and how large solar flares may occur. Finally, we will discuss how important is the development of physics-based prediction to improve our predictive capability and the scientific understanding of solar-terrestrial system dynamics.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Magnetosphere Online Seminars

From: Kyle Murphy, David Sibeck (magnetosphere.seminars at gmail.com)

You are invited to join the Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series (https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/) every Monday at 12 pm (EDST).

The first seminar will be on April 27, "The Magnetosphere as a System" by Joe Borovsky. Lynn Wilson will follow this up on May 4th with "The Solar Wind". The password to join seminars is Mag at 1; a link to join the seminars can be found on the home page.

For the full schedule see, https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/schedule.html.

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

1 Week Left! Heliophysics Mission Design School Applications Now Due April 27, 2020

From: Leslie Lowes (Leslie.L.Lowes at jpl.nasa.gov)

Now through April 27, 2020, NASA is encouraging applications for the Heliophysics Mission Design School (HMDS), an early-career development pilot opportunity to help prepare the next generation of heliophysics science and engineering mission leaders.  This experience is an adaptation of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory’s long-running Planetary Science Summer School, focused on high-priority heliophysics content and mission design.  Participants learn the process of developing a hypothesis-driven robotic space mission in a concurrent engineering environment while getting an in-depth, first-hand look at mission design, life cycle, costs, schedule and the trade-offs inherent in each.

Science and engineering doctoral candidates, postdocs, junior faculty, certain master’s degree students, and all early-career investigators (<10 years experience) who are U.S. Citizens or legal permanent residents (and a very limited number of Foreign Nationals from non-designated counties), are eligible.  Applicants from diverse backgrounds are particularly encouraged to apply. Partial financial support is available for a limited number of individuals.

Session 1: Preparatory Sessions Jun 22-Aug 28.  Culminating Week at JPL Aug 31-Sep 4

Session 2: Preparatory Sessions Sep 7-Nov 6.  Culminating Week at JPL Nov 9-13

Roughly equivalent in workload to a rigorous 3-hour graduate-level course, participants spend the first 10 weeks in preparatory webinars acting as a science mission team, prior to spending the final culminating week at JPL being mentored by JPL’s Advance Project Design Team, or “Team X” to refine their heliophysics mission concept design, then present it to a mock expert review board.

To apply and learn more about the NASA Science Mission Design Schools:
http://go.nasa.gov/missiondesignschools

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position at Chungnam National University, South Korea

From: Kyungguk Min (kmin at cnu.ac.kr)

A postdoctoral research position is available in the field of space (plasma) physics at Chungnam National University, Daejeon, South Korea with an expected starting date in the fall of 2020. The selected candidate will work with Dr. Kyungguk Min in the Department of Astronomy and Space Science (https://astro1.cnu.ac.kr/). The topics include plasma waves and the related wave-particle physics in Earth’s and planetary magnetospheres and the solar wind involving data analysis, theory, and numerical simulations.

Applicants must have a Ph.D. in space physics (or a related field) or soon to be completed. Preference will be given to qualified candidates with experience in both data analysis and plasma simulations. The position is for two years with the possibility of an extension based on performance and funding availability. Salary (between 40,000,000 and 45,000,000 KRW) and benefits will be commensurate with education and experience.

Interested individuals should send a curriculum vitae, statement of research interests, along with a list of three references and contact information, as well as any inquiries about the position, to Dr. Kyungguk Min at kmin at cnu.ac.kr. Review of applications will begin on June 22, 2020, and will continue until the position is filled.

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

JOB OPENING: Postoc Position at the University of Cologne, Germany

From: Joachim Saur (saur at geo.uni-koeln.de)

A two year postdoc position starting in September 2020 is available in the Space Physics/Planetary Group of the Institute of Geophysics and Meteorology at the University of Cologne, Germany. The position can be extended up to a total of five years. The research objectives will lie within the goals of a European Research Council (ERC) Grant to better understand subsurface oceans and the space plasma environments of the moons in the outer solar system. We particularly look for candidates with a strong background in computational plasma physics. We offer a thriving work environment within a group of students and postdocs working on related, complementary topics. A second call for applications to a postdoc position within the ERC grant will follow likely early 2021.

Candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter describing their research experience and interests, and names and contact information for two references. The position is open until filled, however we will begin reviewing applications on June 1, 2020. We encourage women and persons with disabilities to apply.

Some flexibility in the starting date exists due to the uncertain development of the corona crisis and the formal finalisation of the ERC grant agreements.

Applications should be submitted electronically to Joachim Saur, Professor, Institute of Geophysics and Meteorology, University of Cologne, Germany, saur at geo.uni-koeln.de

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison