[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVII, Issue 18

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sat Mar 21 07:40:55 PDT 2020

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVII, Issue 18
Mar.21,2020

Table of Contents

1. NASA Research Announcement: Interdisciplinary Science for Eclipse 2020

2. SCOSTEP/PRESTO Logo Contest

3. MEETING: Cancellation of the Physical EGU General Assembly 2020 in Vienna, Austria

4. MEETING: AOGS2020 Cancelled due to COVID-19

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

NASA Research Announcement: Interdisciplinary Science for Eclipse 2020

From: Madhulika Guhathakurta (madhulika.guhathakuta at nasa.gov)

NASA has just released a call (3/16/2020) to support new research or enhancement of existing research during the total solar eclipse of 12/14/2020 visible from Chile, Argentina and other parts of the southern hemisphere.

https://nspires.nasaprs.com/external/solicitations/summary.do?solId={607F8D5D-03B7-8FE6-25DF-56E8724E61C6}&path=&method=init

Step1 proposals are due on 4/15/2020
Step2 proposals are due on 6/15/2020

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

SCOSTEP/PRESTO Logo Contest

From: Ramon Lopez (relopez at uta.edu)

We are happy to announce the SCOSTEP/PRESTO logo contest. The PRESTO (Predictability of variable solar-terrestrial coupling) is the new SCOSTEP program in 2020-2024 that seeks to improve the predictability of energy flow in the integrated Sun-Earth system on times scales from a few hours to centuries through promoting international collaborative efforts (www.bc.edu/scostep). The SCOSTEP/PRESTO officers are looking for a logo that expresses this PRESTO concept. The successful winner of the logo contest will receive US$500 as the award. For those who have candidate logo ideas, please submit them to Pat Doherty (patricia.doherty at bc.edu), the Scientific Secretary of SCOSTEP, by April 4, 2020. The decision will be made by the PRESTO Steering Committee members, which contain PRESTO chair/co-chairs and co-leaders of three PRESTO Pillars. The winner of the logo contest shall transfer the copyright of the logo to SCOSTEP for the use of the logo for advertisement of the PRESTO program.

Detailed descriptions of the PRESTO program are available at:
https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/bc1/offices/ISR/SCOSTEP/Multimedia/news letterarchive/SCOSTEP_PRESTO_Newsletter_Vol22_high_reso.pdf http://www.issibj.ac.cn/Publications/Forum_Reports/201404/W020190620592 906717714.pdf

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

MEETING: Cancellation of the Physical EGU General Assembly 2020 in Vienna, Austria

From: Editor (editor at igpp.ucla.edu)

(From the EGU 2020 Meeting website)

The EGU is officially announcing the cancellation of the physical EGU General Assembly 2020 in Vienna, Austria. Because the Union is committed to minimizing the impact of COVID-19 on scientific research and collaboration, we believe EGU has a responsibility and a duty to ensure these activities continue despite the current, extreme circumstances. We have therefore decided to host EGU2020: Sharing Geoscience Online (#shareEGU20), a week-long series of online activities held during the first week of May that support our community by fostering scientific communication.

EGU2020: Sharing Geoscience Online will allow abstract authors to share presentation materials and open these for live discussion as well as participate in a selection of online networking events. We are also planning additional activities that will extend into the rest of the year and will provide more information about all of these events in the coming weeks.

We would like to personally thank our members and other attendees for their patience as the Union has navigated this difficult situation. We would also like to extend our sincere thanks to the hundreds of volunteers around the globe who have worked so hard to shape such an exciting programme, and especially the Programme Committee for their tireless efforts to make EGU2020 as inclusive, environmentally friendly, and progressive as possible.

For answers to pressing logistical questions regarding the cancellation, please refer to the list of frequently asked questions below. We look forward to virtually meeting during the online activities of EGU2020 and welcoming you in person to Vienna from 25–30 April 2021 at the next face-to-face General Assembly!

Alberto Montanari, EGU President
Susanne Buiter, EGU Programme Committee Chair

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

MEETING: AOGS2020 Cancelled due to COVID-19

From: Editor (editor at igpp.ucla.edu)

(From the AOGS 2020 Meeting website)

With regret we announce the cancellation of the AOGS 2020 Meeting in Gangwon Province, Korea, due to the coronavirus pandemic. This is unprecedented and the disruption has been profound. Many in our AOGS family of members, friends and colleagues have expressed concern and their health and safety is our foremost priority.

We have been carefully monitoring updates from the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, worldwide. We all need to heed their recommendations to minimize the spread of infection.

AOGS2020, the 17th annual meeting was scheduled to take place on 28 June to 4 July. With increasing uncertainty about international travel as the virus spreads globally, the AOGS Council has taken the decision to cancel the meeting. This decision has not been taken lightly. We have considered the possibility of delaying a decision until nearer the time of the event or in postponing the event until later in the year. However, we have come to the conclusion that the most appropriate course of action is to cancel the event completely. We feel that a prompt decision is fairer to participants, session conveners, exhibitors and organisers. We will reconvene in Singapore in 2021.

It is particularly disappointing to cancel after the huge amount of effort invested by the Local Advisory Committee (LAC), Programme Committee, Secretariat, Gangwon Convention Bureau and the Vivaldi Park Resort management. The AOGS Council acknowledges the excellent work of the LAC, chaired by Professor Sang-Mook Lee. The considerable efforts of Prof Daekyo Cheong, Prof Kyung-Ja Ha and Prof Joong-Bae Ahn are much appreciated. The conference had attracted in excess of 4000 abstracts and was on track to be the largest AOGS meeting to date. Several prestigious guest speakers and exciting field trips had been arranged to augment the scientific programme. Nevertheless, during the planning of the conference AOGS has gained many friends in the Korean geosciences community and we hope that this will further enhance future meetings. Although the 2020 meeting will not take place, AOGS will endeavour to return to Korea in the near future.

On behalf of AOGS Council, I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by the cancellation of the 2020 meeting. As we ride out the coronavirus pandemic, keep safe and stay strong and we look forward to seeing you at a future AOGS event.

David Higgitt, AOGS President (2018-2020)

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison