[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVIII, Issue 43

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Aug 6 06:50:35 PDT 2021

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVIII, Issue 43
Aug.06,2021

Table of Contents

1. Basu US Award Deadline Extended

2. Fall Meeting Registration Waivers Deadline Is August 20

3. LWS Architecture Committee Seeks Community Input

4. Request to Disseminate Information About a Study on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Competed Space Missions

5. CALL FOR PAPERS: Peter Gary - Richard Thorne Special Issue

6. MEETING: Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) Community Workshop #7

7. MEETING: 2nd Circular of STP-15 (February 21-25, 2022, Alibag, India, Full Online or Hybrid)

8. Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

9. Job OPENING: Space Weather Scientific Analyst and Programmer

10. SCOSTEP/PRESTO Newsletter vol.28

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Basu US Award Deadline Extended

From: Geoffrey Reeves (Geoff at ReevesResearch.org)

No nominations that were received for the Sunanda and Santimay Basu US Early Career Award met the eligibility requirements so the deadline for nominations (for this award only) has been extended to August 20.

Nomination information and eligibility requirements are at https://www.agu.org/Honor-and-Recognize/Honors/Section-Awards/Basu-US-Award

Given the late deadline we only require a CV for the candidate, a short nomination letter, and only one letter of support. Nomination packages can be emailed directly to AGU_Honors at agu.org

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Fall Meeting Registration Waivers Deadline Is August 20

From: Geoffrey Reeves (Geoff at ReevesResearch.org)

Application for AGU fall meeting registration waivers for scientists in need will be accepted until August 20. We need to submit names before registration opens. In exceptional cases we may be able to reimburse registration for applications. Applications received close to the deadline may need to be reimbursed instead of waived (meaning you need to pay up front).

The application form for SPA Fall Meeting Registration Waivers is at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ncVUy8wSq9laxIJOgTjE5iUufOs4yUBmtZyPYsFSpqY

For more information, see the original announcement for the “Fall Meeting 2021: Diversity & Inclusion Registration Waiver for scientists in need” initiative at
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/2021-July/000460.html

Registration for the AGU Fall Meeting 2021 opens on August 23 and the deadline for early bird rates is November 3.

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

LWS Architecture Committee Seeks Community Input

From: Christina Cohen (cohen at srl.caltech.edu)

NASA Heliophysics Division has asked a 10-member committee to evaluate the LWS mission line, including making suggestions for a future mission architecture.  As part of our work, the LWS Architecture Committee (LWSAC) has examined the Strategic Science Areas as defined by the LWS Program Analysis Group and identified appropriate science objectives.  For each of these objectives a set of measurement strategies, physical phenomena, required measurements and envisioned implementations have been crafted.

You can find all this at our website http://lws-ac.jhuapl.edu/
We would like your feedback on these items – you can find a feedback form for each SSA through the webpage.  We recognize there is a lot of material there; feel free to comment (briefly if possible) on a subset of the items (even within an SSA or within a given science objective).  The forms will be open from August 7-21.

>From this material we will be forming Focused Mission Topics which will be presented for additional input later in the year.  If you have any questions, please email us at SES-LWS-AC-Web at jhuapl.edu.

Thank you,
Christina Cohen for the LWSAC committee

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Request to Disseminate Information About a Study on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Competed Space Missions

From: Elena Navarro, Heather Sawyer (Navarro-elena at norc.org)

The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) has contracted with NORC at the University of Chicago (NORC) to implement an important research study to understand the factors that impede or facilitate diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in the proposed leadership for competed space missions at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). The results of this study will inform practical recommendations for the Science Mission Directorate at NASA and its partners to reduce impediments to applicants and thereby enhance diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in the competitive pool of proposed leaders.

We are looking for potential key informants, who have served as Principal Investigator (PI) on at least one proposal for a competed space mission from 2010 to the present, who would be willing to participate in a discussion around the processes for preparing and submitting a mission proposal to NASA, and elements of the mission proposal process that may present barriers or are facilitators for achieving diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. We are interested in speaking to an array of individuals, who can provide diverse perspectives based on their race/ethnicity, gender identity, career stage, success of applications to NASA, and other factors.

Participation in this study will comprise a 45–60-minute virtual discussion with an interviewer from NORC. Your participation in the study will NOT be made known to NASA or NASEM, and NO staff outside of the NORC Study Team will know your identity or be involved in the discussion itself. All interview responses will be kept confidential and stored separately from your contact information, and NORC will not share your contact information or interview responses with anyone outside our study team.

If you are interested in participating in the study, please complete this short Study Eligibility Survey by August 20, 2021: https://norc.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dnCQsdxJUtl5W4u OR reply to sawyer-heather at norc.org. The NORC study team will contact you within a few weeks to schedule an interview if you are eligible to participate.

We would also appreciate you forwarding this email invitation to your colleagues or friends who may be interested in the study as well.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The NORC Study Team

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

CALL FOR PAPERS: Peter Gary - Richard Thorne Special Issue

From: Joe Borovsky (jborovsky at spacescience.org)

A joint special issue in Frontiers in Astronomy and Space Science and Frontiers in Physics entitled “Plasma Waves in Space Physics: Carrying On the Research Legacies of Peter Gary and Richard Thorne” is now open for submissions.

https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/24577/plasma-waves-in-space-physics-carrying-on-the-research-of-peter-gary-and-richard-thorne

The importance of plasma waves to the evolution of the solar wind and to the evolutions and interactions of the multiple particle populations of the Earth’s magnetosphere is overwhelming. Two giants in the field recently passed. Peter Gary and Richard Thorne largely established the complexities of plasma waves, plasma instabilities, wave-particle interactions, and the dissipation of turbulence. They opened the eyes of the space-research community to the impact of plasma waves in the solar wind and in the Earth’s magnetosphere. It is time to honor their hard work, their accomplishments, and their leadership and to extend their research legacies into the future. The goals of this Research Topic are (1) to celebrate the scientific achievements of Richard Thorne, Peter Gary, and the entire space-plasma-physics research community, (2) to showcase state-of-the-art research findings, and (3) to take an assessment (a) of the present state of knowledge and (b) of where the research community goes in the future.

This is a call for original research papers, for review articles and mini-reviews, and for perspective articles on topics such as outstanding issues, future research needs, etc.

If you wish to coordinate a review article, please contact the Guest Editors. Otherwise, please submit your article.

The Guest Editors are Joe Borovsky, Misa Cowee, Richard Horne, Chuck Smith, Yuri Shprits

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

MEETING: Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) Community Workshop #7

From: Matt Argall, Jim Burch, Kevin Genestreti, Barbara Giles, Steve Myers, Christine Schultz, Roy Torbert (kevin.genestreti at swri.org)

Community Workshop #7 for NASA’s Magnetospheric Multiscale mission (MMS)
October 19-21, Waterville Valley, New Hampshire

Early Bird registration deadline: Sept 10, 2021
Hotel block pricing booking deadline: Sept 17, 2021
Late registration deadline: Oct 1, 2021
Title & abstracts are requested no later than Oct 1, 2021

More information: https://swri-eos.unh.edu/mmsatwv/index.shtml

The Fall MMS Community Workshop will be a hybrid (virtual and in-person) meeting with an in-person component in the scenic White Mountains of New Hampshire. The meeting will be open to the entire community and all are encouraged to participate. COVID-19 vaccinations are required for in-person attendees. Virtual attendees will receive a meeting link via email from the organizers.

See you there!
Organizing committee

Matt Argall,
Jim Burch,
Kevin Genestreti,
Barbara Giles,
Steve Myers,
Roy Torbert,
Christine Schulz

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

MEETING: 2nd Circular of STP-15 (February 21-25, 2022, Alibag, India, Full Online or Hybrid)

From: Kazuo Shiokawa (shiokawa at nagoya-u.jp)

The SCOSTEP 15th Quadrennial Solar-Terrestrial Physics Symposium (STP-15)
will be held at Alibag, India, by full online or hybrid style on February 21-25, 2022.

Conference Website: https://www.stp15.in/
Deadline of abstract submission and financial support request: September 15, 2021

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

From: Jason Shuster (magnetosphere.seminars at gmail.com)

We invite you to join us every Monday at 12pm (ET) for the weekly Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series.

There will not be a seminar on Monday August 9.

The seminars will resume on Monday August 16 with a presentation by Thomas Elsden on ULF Waves.

A link to join the seminar via Zoom or YouTube can be found on our home page:
https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/
The password to join the Zoom seminar is: Mag at 1

You can view the current 2021 schedule here:
https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/schedule.html

Add your name to our mailing list here:
https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/mail-list.html

Read about previous talks here:
https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/blog.html

9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9

Job OPENING: Space Weather Scientific Analyst and Programmer

From: Janet Machol (janet.machol at noaa.gov)

The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado Boulder has an immediate opening for a Space Weather Scientific Analyst and Programmer to support work on space weather solar instruments at the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI). The position focuses on work related to the solar irradiance monitors on the Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellites Series-R (GOES-R). The selected candidate will work with the NCEI Space Weather team to calibrate and validate in-flight solar X-ray and extreme ultraviolet measurements, to improve algorithms for real-time data for forecasters, and to develop reprocessing software for science-quality data sets, all in support of NOAA’s space weather forecasting operations and the international scientific community.

The successful applicant will receive competitive compensation and the University’s excellent benefits package. For further information or to apply, go to https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=32342. This position is located at the NOAA David Skaggs Research Center in Boulder, CO. For questions about the position, please contact Janet Machol (janet.machol at noaa.gov) or Courtney Peck (courtney.peck at noaa.gov).

10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

SCOSTEP/PRESTO Newsletter vol.28

From: Kazuo Shiokawa (shiokawa at nagoya-u.jp)

SCOSTEP/PRESTO Newsletter volume 28 has now been published.  The PDF file is available at
https://scostep.org/newsletter-archive/
Below are the contents of this volume.

1. Articles
      - Dr. Franz –Josef Luebken: Project “Role of the Middle Atmosphere in Climate” : Phase 2
      - Dr. Takahiro Obara : Closure of the Onagawa Magnetic Field Observatory of Tohoku University
2.Highlight on Young Scientists
      - Milla Kalliokoski, Finland
      - Yumi Bamba, Japan
3.Meeting report
      - 44st Annual Seminar “Physics of the Auroral Phenomena”, Organized Online by PGI, Apatity, Russia, 15 - 19 March 2021
And more

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison