[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVIII, Issue 37

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 9 05:27:23 PDT 2021

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVIII, Issue 37
Jul.09,2021

Table of Contents

1. MEETING: 2021 7TH International Conference on Space Science and Communication (IconSpace2021)

2. MEETING: European Space Weather Week 2021 (ESWW2021/ESWW17) – FINAL REMINDER

3. SESSION: 2021 VGEM SCIMM Focus Group Activities

4. SESSION: 2021 VGEM "Impact of the Cold Plasma in Magnetospheric Physics" Focus Group

5. SHIELD Webinar Series: From Puerto Rico to Outer Space

6. Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

7. GEM DEI Happy Hour - Focus on Mental Health

8. JOB OPENING: Open Rank (Tenure-Track/Tenured) Faculty Position in Space Physics at UCLA

9. JOB OPENING: Space Weather Research Scientist at CIRES CU Boulder/NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center

10. JOB OPENINGS: Research Scientist and Postdoctoral positions in Space Physics Instrumentation and Data Analysis at Los Alamos National Laboratory

11. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position in Space Plasma Physics at the University of Maryland

12. JOB OPENING: Postdoc Position in Chicago

13. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Research Position in the  Physics Department at Auburn University

14. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Space Plasma Physics at Queen Mary University of London

15. RHESSI Nuggets in June 2021

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

MEETING: 2021 7TH International Conference on Space Science and Communication (IconSpace2021)

From: Simon Wing (simon.wing at jhuapl.edu)

Space Science Centre (ANGKASA), Institute of Climate Change of Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) is proud to host our 2021 7TH International Conference on Space Science and Communication (IconSpace2021). The conference themed “Space Science and Communication System for Sustainability” is organized by ANGKASA, UKM and technically co-sponsored by IEEE through IEEE Malaysia Communication Society / Vehicular Technology Society Joint Chapter.

Proceedings of IconSpace2009, IconSpace2011, IconSpace2013, IconSpace2015, IconSpace2017 and IconSpace2019 has been indexed in ISI Web of Science (WoS), SCOPUS and IEEE Xplore. Presented papers in IconSpace2021 will be published as a proceeding and indexed in the IEEE Xplore.

TOPICS (BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO) OF THE FOLLOWING TECHNICAL AREAS:
• Astronomy and Astrophysics
• Atmospheric and Magnetospheric Sciences
• Geosciences and Remote Sensing
• Satellite and Communication Technology
• Interdisciplinary Space Science
• Others

IMPORTANT DATES
Full Paper Submissions : 31 July 2021
Acceptance notification : 31 August 2021
Early bird payment & Registration : 30 September 2021
Camera Ready with payment : 31 October 2021
Conference Day : 23-24 November 2021

PUBLICATIONS
*  All accepted papers of IconSpace2021 will be published in the Conference Proceedings (soft copy) and will be submitted to the IEEE Xplore and indexed by SCOPUS and ISI WoS for full consideration of publication.
*  As the previous IconSpace, after the conference, authors of the accepted papers are suggested to extend 60% and enhance their papers to be considered for publication in Jurnal Kejuruteraan, indexed in ECSI in Web of Science. Take note that the extended and enhanced manuscripts will still need to undergo the normal publication process of the journal. The plagiarism policy of the journal need to be fulfilled. All papers need to be submitted latest by 24 December 2021 for publication.

MORE INFO …..
https://www.ukm.my/iconspace/

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

MEETING: European Space Weather Week 2021 (ESWW2021/ESWW17) – FINAL REMINDER

From: Mario M. Bisi (Mario.Bisi at stfc.ac.uk)

Dear Colleagues.

It is with great pleasure to provide you with a FINAL REMINDER that the calls for abstracts for both plenary and parallel sessions as well as for proposals for Topical Discussion Meetings (TDMs) are OPEN with a DEADLINE of 9th July 2021 for all three cases!

In line with the LOC and both Scottish and UK Government Guidance, we are still planning on a fully hybrid meeting from Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and over the Zoom platform (i.e. in-person attendance in Glasgow as well as online attendance).

All updates are being provided on the ESWW2021/ESWW17 website:  http://esww17.iopconfs.org/.  For the above-noted submissions, please use the drop-down menu from “Submissions” at the top.  For updates on the logistics of the meeting, please use the options from the “Location” drop-down menu paying special attention to the “Travel” option.

We intend on opening both on-site and remote registrations on 7th July 2021 – please see: http://esww17.iopconfs.org/registration for further information in due course.

On behalf of the PC and LOC, I very much look forward to welcoming you to Glasgow – either in-person or virtually – 25-29 October 2021.

Dr Mario M. Bisi
ESWW2021/ESWW17 PC Chair
ESWW2021/ESWW17 LOC Vice Chair

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

SESSION: 2021 VGEM SCIMM Focus Group Activities

From: Cristian Ferradas, Chao Yue, Qianli Ma, and Jacob Bortnik (cristian.ferradasalva at nasa.gov)

The GEM Focus Group (FG) ‘Self-Consistent Inner Magnetosphere Modeling’ will have two sessions at this year's Virtual GEM Workshop on Tuesday July 27th, 2021. The two sessions will focus on:

- Session 1: Ring Current Dynamics (Tuesday July 27th, 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm EDT)
This session will focus on the transport, energization, loss, and composition of the ring current ions and electrons, and the associated variations in electric and magnetic fields. We welcome presentations of research related to the ring current dynamics through numerical modeling and satellite observations.

- Session 2: Wave-Particle Interactions (Tuesday July 27th, 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm EDT)
This session will focus on wave-particle interactions in the ring current, which drive the excitation of plasma waves, and the scattering or heating of thermal, suprathermal and energetic ions and electrons. We solicit talks of both modeling and observational works.

Also, this year we are excited to launch our FG challenges. Several workshops earlier this year, such as Helio2050 and the Van Allen Probes mission legacy workshop, have set the scene by identifying key aspects of inner magnetosphere research that we must address as a community to move our field forward. Key topics include: understanding the relative contribution of the solar wind, cusp, and nightside auroral ion sources to the ring current, incorporating micro-scale wave-particle interactions in global ring current models, realistically characterizing bursty bulk flows (BBFs) during storm times to assess the rapid ring current development on short time scales, and understanding how magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere coupling affects the inner magnetospheric electric field through changes in ionospheric conductivity and neutral winds.

We envision the challenges to take the form of storm case studies focusing on one or several of the topics mentioned above. Some potential storm events are: the May 27-30 2017, September 6-12 2017, and August 25-30 2018 storms.

 We invite the community to participate in our FG activities for this year’s VGEM in the following ways:

1. Presenting research results relevant to the topics of one or both sessions. For both sessions, we solicit 8-10 min talks.

2. Providing input or suggestions on the research focus and/or the selection of events for the FG challenges. We will announce the FG challenges after this year’s VGEM.

Please contact Cristian Ferradas (cristian.ferradasalva at nasa.gov) and Chao Yue (yuechao at pku.edu.cn) to submit contributed talks and provide input regarding the FG challenges. We will list the contributed talks and details of the sessions on the FG website at https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_Self-Consistent_Inner_Magnetospheric_Modeling.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

SESSION: 2021 VGEM "Impact of the Cold Plasma in Magnetospheric Physics" Focus Group

From: Gian Luca Delzanno (delzanno at lanl.gov)

Dear colleagues,

please mark your calendar for the three sessions of the ‘Impact of the Cold Plasma in Magnetospheric Physics’ Focus Group at the Virtual GEM meeting occurring on 7/25-30/2021.

1. The first session, scheduled for Monday July 26th 1:00-2:30 PM Eastern Time, will focus on long-term planning for advancing cold-plasma magnetospheric physics. It will be an open discussion of strategies for the upcoming Decadal Survey. People with plans or ideas to submit white papers please make sure to participate in the discussion.

2. The second session, scheduled for Monday July 26th 3:00-4:30 PM Eastern Time, focuses on near-term planning for cold-plasma opportunities. We would like to discuss unsolved problems in cold-plasma physics and funding opportunities [such as LWS (FST #2) and GEM] that could be pursued to build teams and tackle those problems.
Examples of possible topics are cold-plasma recirculation, the cloak, cold-plasma impacts, wave-particle interactions, …
The session will have some introductory remarks by Joe Borovsky, followed by open discussion.

3. The third session, scheduled for Friday July 30th 1:00-2:30 PM Eastern Time, is joint with the ULF Wave Modeling, Effects, and Applications (UMEA) focus group. After a scene-setting talk given by Richard Denton, we will discuss current research and open problems relating ULF and cold-plasma research.

Please attend the sessions and share your thoughts!

Thanks,
Gian Luca Delzanno on behalf of the FG leaders

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

SHIELD Webinar Series: From Puerto Rico to Outer Space

From: Mayra Montrose and Laura Lopez (shieldoutreach at bu.edu)

Upcoming SHIELD Webinar: Fri July 9th, 2021 2:00 PM EST

>From Puerto Rico to Outer Space.

Speaker: Mayra Natalia Hernandez Montrose

Ms. Mayra Montrose is Assistant Deputy Associate Administrator for Programs in the Science Mission Directorate (SMD) of NASA since December, 2018. She served as Acting Deputy Associate Administrator for Programs from December, 2019 to August, 2020.
>From 2015 to 2018 she was Program Executive for Earth Science Flight Missions in SMD, where she managed five spaceflight projects: monitoring solar irradiance (TSIS-1 on ISS), methane and carbon (GeoCarb), polar radiant energy (PREFIRE), surface mineralogy and dust sources (EMIT) and plant health (ECOSTRESS).
Ms. Montrose’s first job with NASA was at the Kennedy Space Center, where she worked as an experiment engineer. She has received numerous achievement awards acknowledging her significant contributions, including two from the European Space Agency and the German Space Agency, and the NASA Cooperative External Achievement Award for her efforts in serving as an interface with new prospective commercial partners of NASA.
She earned Masters and Bachelor degrees in Computer Engineering at the University of South Florida in Tampa. Ms. Montrose was born and raised in Puerto Rico.

Speaker: Laura Delgado López

Laura Delgado López is a Policy Analyst at the Policy Branch of the NASA Science Mission Directorate (SMD). She is part of a team focused on providing policy support to SMD's 90+ missions that span Astrophysics, Earth Science, Heliophysics, Planetary Science, as well as reimbursable projects for other agencies.
>From July 2016 to November 2018, she was at Harris Corporation’s Space and Intelligence Systems Segment. As an advocacy lead she supported the business activities of the international, and environmental solutions teams. In addition to guiding the development of relationships with key customers, partners, and influencers, she provided the leadership team with analysis and advice of the relevant budgetary, policy, and regulatory developments that could impact current and future business activities.
Ms. Delgado López’s research has focused on issues related to Earth observations, space politics and policy, international cooperation, and public opinion. Her work has been featured in publications such as Space Policy, Astropolitics, Space News, among others, and has led to media appearance in major Spanish-speaking media outlets, including CNN en Español.
She holds a Master of Arts in international science and technology with a focus on space policy from the George Washington University. She was a 2009 Truman Scholar and a 2009-2010 Northrop Grumman Fellow at GWU’s Space Policy Institute. She also holds a Bachelor of Arts in political science from the University of Puerto Rico.

Friday, July 9
2 PM EST

Register Here: https://bostonu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0vdemvrTMjGt0ECcz2tI1Prb36DWq7eou_?fbclid=IwAR1_H7sdzdQiXjC9rfljLUw8OGidF_V3MzLwffltj5M2llgk3KJXaBdRsHI

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

From: Jason Shuster (magnetosphere.seminars at gmail.com)

We invite you to join us every Monday at 12pm (ET) for the weekly Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series.

On Monday July 12, Jordan Guerra Aguilera will give a presentation on Ensemble Forecasting in Space Weather. A link to join the seminar via Zoom or YouTube can be found on our home page:
https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/
The password to join the Zoom seminar is: Mag at 1

The following week on July 19, Janet Green is scheduled to present on Space Weather Effects.

You can view the current 2021 schedule here:
https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/schedule.html

Add your name to our mailing list here:
https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/mail-list.html

Read about previous talks here:
https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/blog.html

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

GEM DEI Happy Hour - Focus on Mental Health

From: Allison N Jaynes (allison-n-jaynes at uiowa.edu)

Dear GEM Community,

The GEM Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Subcommittee is hosting a virtual Happy Hour for members and friends of the GEM community - this time during the day so we can reserve our after hours for all things not related to work. The topic this time will be centered around the constant mantra of "getting back to normal" while many of us are in reality still processing a year of isolation, loss, and slipping mental health. We'll discuss the habits we've learned for building up resiliency, why it's healthy to not be "doing great" all the time, and share ways in which we can be there for each other and our students/supervisees through times of good and bad mental health. We hope to see you there!

When: Wednesday, July 14th, 1pm PT / 2pm MT / 3pm CT / 4pm ET

Connection: https://uiowa.zoom.us/j/94545484415?pwd=TVFxTjgrNFRhQ2VnbVhsSi9MTlJDQT09
Meeting ID: 945 4548 4415
Passcode: 520397

Suggested perusal before the meeting:
Re-entry anxiety post-Covid: https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2021/05/420581/feeling-re-entry-anxiety-expert-advice-navigating-covid-19-reopenings
Getting better at saying No: https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2010/09/27/just-say-no
Toxic positivity: https://hbr.org/2020/11/its-okay-to-not-be-okay
Talking to mentees about mental health: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/have-the-conversation/talking-to-someone-you-are-worried-about

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

JOB OPENING: Open Rank (Tenure-Track/Tenured) Faculty Position in Space Physics at UCLA

From: EPSS Academic Personnel (epssAP at epss.ucla.edu)

The UCLA Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences (EPSS) invites applications for a tenure-track/tenured faculty position in Space Physics at any rank/level. We encourage applicants from all sub-disciplines of space physics to apply, but we are particularly interested in candidates in the area of experimental space physics pertaining to the interaction of small solar system bodies, moons, or planets with solar winds or flowing plasmas (e.g., at asteroids, Mars, Uranus, or Galilean satellites). We welcome applicants whose experience in research, teaching, and community/collegial service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to excellence and equity, diversity, and inclusion. Candidates are expected to hold a Ph.D. in Physics or a related field by the date of hire, July 1, 2022.

More information on the position can be obtained at: https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF06572 where applications will be accepted on or after September 1, 2021. Reviews will commence on November 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. Target start date is July 1, 2022. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9

JOB OPENING: Space Weather Research Scientist at CIRES CU Boulder/NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center

From: Hazel Bain (hazel.bain at noaa.gov)

The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado, Boulder invites applications for two Research Scientist positions at the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC). The successful applicant will develop experimental space weather forecasting applications for the benefit of SWPC forecasters and customers, primarily working with the Space Weather Follow On-L1 (SWFO-L1), Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite-U (GOES-U) Compact Coronagraph and Deep Space Climate Observatory (DSCOVR) teams.

For more information on the job and how to apply, please follow this link:
https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=31120

The application deadline has been extended. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Posting will remain active until the position is filled.

10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

From: Dan Reisenfeld (dreisenfeld at lanl.gov)

Los Alamos National Laboratory seeks candidates for Research Scientist and Postdoctoral positions in heliophysics data analysis and instrumentation with the Space Science and Applications Group (ISR-1). ISR Division leads instruments on current and recent NASA missions such as IMAP, IBEX, Van Allen Probes, SWIFT, TWINS, and ACE, as well as NASA’s Mars Curiosity and Perseverance rovers. We also build, fly, operate, and analyze data from measurement systems deployed to space for verification of international nuclear treaties, and develop innovative sensors for basic scientific missions, nuclear nonproliferation, space situational awareness and remote sensing.

The successful applicants will be expected to support the development and calibration of a range of space plasma instrumentation for missions such as NASA/IMAP and current National Security missions, and the development of instrumentation for future missions. The candidates will also be expected to participate in original research in magnetospheric and/or heliospheric science.  For the Research Scientist position, applicants should have laboratory experience in the development of hardware for the detection of space plasmas or energetic neutral atoms, and an established record of original research in magnetospheric, ionospheric and/or heliospheric science.  For the Postdoctoral position, applicants should have laboratory experience broadly applicable to developing hardware for the detection of space plasmas; desired skills include familiarity with heliophysics (magnetospheres, ionospheres, solar wind, outer heliosphere, etc.), or a strong interest in learning about such environments. The selected candidates will have the opportunity to interact with Laboratory staff engaged in a broad range of observational, computational, and theoretical research in heliophysics.  Applicants should have a doctoral degree in Space Physics, Physics, Astronomy, Engineering, or appropriate similar fields. The ability to obtain a DOE Q clearance is desired.

Interested persons should apply online at https://lanl.jobs to position posting IRC86128 for the research scientist position, or IRC83749 for the postdoctoral position.  Candidates will be expected to furnish a CV and statement of research interests.   For further inquiries, contact dreisenfeld at lanl.gov.

11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position in Space Plasma Physics at the University of Maryland

From: Marc Swisdak (swisdak at umd.edu)

The Department of Physics at the University of Maryland is seeking applicants for a Postdoctoral Associate to conduct basic scientific research on, and numerical modeling of, plasmas in space and astrophysical systems.

The space/astrophysical plasma physics group at the University of Maryland has a broad and active basic research program.  It is the lead institution of the Solar Flare Energy Release (SolFER) NASA DRIVE Center and maintains active involvement with the Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) and Parker Solar Probe missions. Focus areas include all aspects of magnetic reconnection, including plasma heating and the production of energetic particles, as well as topics related to wave-driven particle scattering and transport.

Minimum qualifications for the position include a PhD in Plasma Physics, Space Physics, Astrophysics or a related discipline. Previous research experience in computational physics is preferred.  The ideal applicant would have in-depth knowledge of plasma physics, numerical methods and computational physics with applications to astrophysical or space environments. Experience with programming languages (e.g., Fortran, C) and high-performance parallel computing would be an asset.

Applicants should provide the following: (1) a cover letter describing your interest in the position that also includes the names and contact information of three references, and (2) a CV including a complete list of publications. A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The start date is flexible.  Competitive salary and benefits are offered.  Please submit applications and any questions to swisdak at umd.edu.

This position is nominally for two years with the possibility of extension to a third contingent on performance and funding availability. The position will be located in the Institute for Research in Electronics and Applied Physics at UMD (www.ireap.umd.edu) and will be part of the research group led by Professor James Drake and Dr. Marc Swisdak.  The successful candidate will be given significant mentoring and professional development opportunities to support the pursuit of a long-term career in research, academia, or other field.

Diversity Statement: The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.

Vaccine Protocol: The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.

12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12

JOB OPENING: Postdoc Position in Chicago

From: Rasha Abbasi (rabbasi at luc.edu)

Post-Doctoral Research Associate – Lightning Observation

Location: Loyola University Chicago, Chicago U.S.A.

Department: Physics Department

Pending Approval, review of Applications will continue until the position is filled.

Expected Start Date: Aug 1, 2021 or As soon as the position is filled.

Duties:  Prof. Abbasi is recruiting a Post-Doctoral Research Associate to specialize in lightning research, observations, and applications. The selected applicant will work closely with Prof. Abbasi and the Telescope Array collaboration on observing the optical emission from Terrestrial Gamma-ray Flashes (TGFs) using a high-speed video camera and a photometer system.   The selected applicant will also work closely with the Physics Department at Loyola University Chicago on teaching classes during the spring semester of their appointment. Thus, this position will allow the Post-Doctoral Research Associate the unique opportunity to develop both their research and teaching skills. The main responsibilities would be 1) analyzing the collected data from the high-speed video camera and the photometers in correlation with the TGFs observed by the Telescope Array Surface Detector (TASD) and lighting observed by the (INTerFerometer) INTF at the TASD site. 2)   Maintaining and collecting data from the optical instruments at the TASD site. 3) simulation of the optical component of TGFs and lighting. 4) Teaching undergraduate classes and labs. This position will require the presentation and publication of research findings at scientific conferences and in academic journals. This position also requires travel to Utah multiple times a year.

Qualifications:

Applicants should have a Ph.D. in physics. This position requires familiarity with lightning observations and TGFs, along with fluency in at least one programming language (e.g.,  Python, C++, Jave). Preference will be given to applicants with knowledge of high-speed video camera and photometer observations.

To Apply:

Interested candidates should send a CV, official or unofficial transcripts, a list of at least 3 professional references, and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements for this position to rabbasi at luc.edu.

13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Research Position in the  Physics Department at Auburn University

From: Hong Zhao (zzh0054 at auburn.edu)

The Physics Department at Auburn University has openings for postdoctoral fellow position in Space Physics. The successful candidate will contribute to a vigorous research program in radiation belt physics. The research topics include: 1) the role of DC electric fields in producing deep penetrations of energetic particles in the inner magnetosphere, and 2) the role of ULF waves in radiation belt particle energization and transport. Experience in particle and field data analysis and/or particle tracing simulation is highly desirable.  Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to submit an application before August 1, 2021 to the COSAM Postdoctoral Fellow Pool 2021-2022 (https://www.auemployment.com/postings/23767), and also send the application package by email to Prof. Hong Zhao (zzh0054 at auburn.edu).

The College of Sciences and Mathematics (COSAM) at Auburn University located in Auburn AL (http://www.auburn.edu/cosam) is seeking candidates for the position of postdoctoral fellow in the sciences and mathematics. From time-to-time, postdoctoral positions become available under a variety of research grants and projects in the college. We are seeking applications from individuals with a Ph.D. at the time employment begins in any one area such as: biology, chemistry, geosciences, mathematics, statistics, physics or related fields. The candidates selected for these positions must be able to meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of employment; and must possess excellent written and interpersonal communication skills. The positions are available for a minimum of one year as full-time 12 month appointments, with renewal possible based on performance, need, and/or funding for a maximum of four years. These are non-tenure track positions. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Review of applications will begin after September 25th, 2020 and continue throughout the year as positions become available. Please upload a curriculum vitae, statement of research interests, statement of contributions to diversity and inclusion (more information https://www.auburn.edu/cosam/about/mission-vision-oied.htm), and contact information for three professional references.

Auburn University is an EEO/Vet/Disability Employer and committed to building an inclusive and diverse community.

14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Space Plasma Physics at Queen Mary University of London

From: Christopher Chen (christopher.chen at qmul.ac.uk)

Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Space Plasma Physics
School of Physics & Astronomy, Queen Mary University of London
Appointment period: 2 years (with possibility for extension subject to further funding)
Application closing date: 20th August 2021
Contact for informal enquiries: Dr Christopher Chen (christopher.chen at qmul.ac.uk)
Link to job profile and application form: https://webapps2.is.qmul.ac.uk/jobs/job.action?jobID=5986

About the Role
This is a postdoctoral position to work on the project “Plasma Dynamics of the Inner Heliosphere” funded by an STFC Consolidated Grant. The project involves the use of Parker Solar Probe, Solar Orbiter and other spacecraft data to study turbulence and related plasma processes near the Sun – how they operate and the role they play, and involves comparison with theory and numerical simulations. There is also scope for the postdoctoral researcher to develop their own related research interests.

About You
The successful candidate will have a PhD in Space Plasma Physics or a closely related subject, or equivalent research experience. They will have the skills and abilities to conduct high-quality innovative research and to successfully disseminate this to the international community. They will be highly motivated and able to demonstrate initiative, as well as a commitment to research, academic life, and ethical working. Desirable qualities include experience in spacecraft data analysis, plasma theory, and/or numerical simulations.

About the School
The School of Physics and Astronomy hosts world-class research centres across a range of areas in modern physics: Astronomy, Experimental Particle Physics, Theoretical Physics, and Condensed Matter & Materials Science. The school has 53 academic staff, 45 research staff, 85 PhD students, and runs successful undergraduate/postgraduate teaching programmes with ~400 students. The school recently underwent a £12M refurbishment to provide state-of-the-art research and teaching facilities. The Space & Astrophysical Plasmas group has a history of high-quality research going back to the pioneering work of Vincenzo Ferraro in the 1950s and is part of the Astronomy Unit, which also hosts leading research groups in Cosmology and Planetary Physics, with its members taking leading roles in major international projects.

15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15

RHESSI Nuggets in June 2021

From: Hugh Hudson (hugh.hudson at glasgow.ac.uk)

http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~tohban/wiki/index.php/RHESSI_Science_Nuggets

No. 409, “Nonequilibrium Ionization of Flare Plasma Observed by Hinode/EIS” by Shinsuke IMADA: Evidence for Nonequilibrium Ionization of Flare Plasma Observed by Hinode/EIS.

No. 410, “STIX, the Hard X-Ray Telescope on board Solar Orbiter” by Andrea Francesco BATTAGLIA and Säm KRUCKER: STIX is operational and producing great data.

We welcome contributions to the RHESSI Nuggets, and the topics may wander some distance away from specifically RHESSI results if they are generally interesting. See http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~tohban/wiki/index.php/RHESSI_Science_Nuggets for these and others. Comments about specific flares can often be found by searching for their SOLyyyy-mm-dd identifier from this home page.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison