[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVIII, Issue 38

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Jul 19 05:49:28 PDT 2021

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVIII, Issue 38
Jul.19,2021

Table of Contents

1. Clarification on the AGU Revised First Author Policy: AGU Fall Meeting 2021

2. MEETING: SHINE 2021 - Registration Open

3. Clarification of Details of the SHINE Conference and Student Day

4. MEETING: Parker Solar Probe Scholars – Second Meeting August 17-18, 2021

5. MEETING: IHDEA 2021 Announcement

6. MEETING: ML-Helio Conference - Mark Your Calendar

7. SESSION: VGEM Focus Group "Interhemispheric Approaches to Understand M-I Coupling (IHMIC)"

8. SESSION: VGEM Focus Group "Magnetotail Dipolarization"Call for Participation

9. SESSION: JSM 2021 "Statistical and Machine Learning Efforts on Solar Flare Predictions"

10. Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

11. Online Cold-plasma Seminar Series

12. JOB OPENING: Assistant Researcher at UC Berkeley

13. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position Within Data Processing and Visualization of EISCAT3D Data, Umeå University, Sweden

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Clarification on the AGU Revised First Author Policy: AGU Fall Meeting 2021

From: Romina Nikoukar, Amy Keesee, Christina Lee (romina.nikoukar at jhuapl.edu)

You are most likely aware of the AGU revised first author policy which allows authors to submit two contributed abstracts as long as the abstracts are submitted to different sections. We have received confirmation from AGU that each SPA topic area (SPA-SA, SPA-SM, and SPA-SH) is considered a different section as far as this policy is concerned.  The new policy allows people working across disciplines to share their work to relevant audiences. As you consider submitting two contributed abstracts, please keep in mind that oral presentations will require pre-recorded talks and posters need to be uploaded regardless of one’s type of attendance (in-person or virtual). As a reminder, abstracts are due 4 August 2021. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Romina Nikoukar - Secretary Aeronomy
Amy Keesee - Secretary Magnetospheric Physics
Christina Lee - Secretary Solar-Heliospheric Physics

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

MEETING: SHINE 2021 - Registration Open

From: Teresa Nieves (teresa.nieves at nasa.gov)

Dear community,

It is time to get ready for SHINE 2021.

Registration in now open with a deadline of July 19th, [SHINE]

The meeting will be on-line. We will send the information and links for the Zoom and Gather.Town to registered participants in due time.

SHINE meeting: August 3-5, 2021, from 12pm to ~5:30pm ET daily

Student day: August 2, 2021 (only students and early-career researchers within 3 years of completing their PhD)

SHINE Schedule: [https://shinecon.org/shine2021/SHINE2021_V4.pdf 4]

This year the meeting will be focused on the big science questions that should be driving SHINE, the progress that has been made over the past twenty years, and the necessary changes to keep SHINE a successful workshop while increasing equity and inclusion and ensuring that the growth in participation is sustainable. The steering committee also feels that focusing on identifying the big questions is in line with the schedule of the upcoming Heliophysics decadal survey. As such, there will not be any focused research discussion outside of the posters.

Posters: Only students and early-career researchers (ECRs, up to PhD + 3 years) are eligible to submit abstract and present posters. There are poster sessions scheduled daily as well as a student poster competition. We expect gathertown to be open outside of the poster session times allowing for more interactions. As students and ECRs have had few opportunities to present their research during the past 18 months of remote meetings, the SHINE steering committee and student representatives decided that this would provide the most opportunities for students and ECRs to build their scientific network.

Cost: Registration is set up at $50 until July 19th and $100 afterwards.

All students and early-career researchers (up to PhD + 3 years) are eligible for fee waiver by registering through: https://shinecon.org/pages/StudFinSupAppSub.php

Best,

Teresa Nieves and Noé Lugaz

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Clarification of Details of the SHINE Conference and Student Day

From: Chris Gilly (chris.gilly at colorado.edu)

The SHINE student representatives would like to provide everyone with an update on the details of the Student + Early Career day on August 2nd. Please read the full update at https://tinyurl.com/SHINE2021-Update1

Key Points:
Abstract Deadline is July 19th
Folks up to PhD + 3 years may attend the student day
We need more speakers for student day
Student Registration is Free this year

-Gilly & Chris, SHINE Student Representatives

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

MEETING: Parker Solar Probe Scholars – Second Meeting August 17-18, 2021

From: Nour E. Raouafi (Nour.Raouafi at jhuapl.edu)

Parker Solar Probe Scholars is a regular and open virtual meeting series aiming to promote heliophysics research by early-career scientists. The new platform will provide opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, postdocs, etc., to showcase their research, advance their careers, foster collaborations, and seek help when needed. It is also meant to promote diversity and interest in heliophysics, particularly recent space missions and ground-based observatories (e.g., Parker Solar Probe, Solar Orbiter, and DKIST), and do so in a friendly and collegial environment.

Contributions can be submitted through https://sppgway.jhuapl.edu/psp_scholars_abstract.

Special topics:
1. NSF Programs and Opportunities for Early Career Scientists – Carrie E. Black, Program Director (August 17, 2021)
2. Effective Proposal Writing – Ben Chandran, Professor–University of New Hampshire (August 18, 2021)

For further information, questions, and suggestions, contact Nour E. Raouafi (PSP Project Scientist, Nour.Raouafi at jhuapl.edu).

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

MEETING: IHDEA 2021 Announcement

From: Arnaud Masson, Shing Fung (Arnaud.Masson at esa.int)

We are pleased to announce the 5th International Heliophysics Data Environment Alliance meeting (https://ihdea.net/). It will be held virtually from 27 September to 01 October 2021, during 2 hours each day from 12 to 14 UTC. After a day of reporting from its core members and working groups, various topics will be tackled including: metadata, data formats, access protocols, data archive coordination, analysis tools, DOI or coordination of SPASE registries. The role of the IHDEA is to engage the community, foster communication, and to identify the standards and services which will best served the science needs of the heliophysics community. This year in particular, a number of invitees will help better understand the standards of the Earth observation community on how can those standards be compatible with the heliophysics standards for particular space weather products. We invite the community to register to this annual meeting here: https://cosmos.esa.int/web/ihdea
Registration is free of charge. Active participation is welcomed. This year, the annual IHDEA meeting is formally organised by the European Space Astronomy Centre of ESA, Madrid, Spain.

Best regards

IHDEA 2021 Scientific Organization Committee
Baptiste Cecconi (Observatoire de Paris)
Shing Fung (NASA)
Arnaud Masson (TpZ for ESA)
Yoshizumi Miyoshi  (Nagoya University)

LOC
Arnaud Masson and Justyna Kowalska (RHEA for ESA)

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

MEETING: ML-Helio Conference - Mark Your Calendar

From: Enrico Camporeale (enrico.camporeale at noaa.gov)

We are happy to announce that the next Machine Learning in Heliophysics conference (ML-Helio) will take place on March 21-25, 2022 in Boulder, CO.

The goal of ML- Helio is to leverage the advancements happening in disciplines such as machine learning, deep learning, statistical analysis, system identification, and information theory, in order to address long-standing questions and enable a higher scientific return on the wealth of available heliospheric data.

ML-Helio brings together a cross-disciplinary research community: physicists in solar, heliospheric, magnetospheric, and aeronomy fields as well as computer and data scientists.

For more information: https://ml-helio.github.io/

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

SESSION: VGEM Focus Group "Interhemispheric Approaches to Understand M-I Coupling (IHMIC)"

From: Hyomin Kim, Robert Lysak, Tomoko Matsuo, Dogacan Ozturk (hmkim at njit.edu)

We invite you to participate in our VGEM focus group session, “Interhemispheric Approaches to Understand M-I Coupling (IHMIC)”. Two sessions will be held at 01:00-02:30 pm and 03:00-04:30 pm EDT on Monday July 26 to discuss observations and modeling work focusing on interhemispheric asymmetry and conjugacy in geomagnetic fields and its effect on M-I coupling. We welcome any scientific investigations of asymmetric features in large-scale current systems, auroral forms, waves, ion upflow, outflow, particle precipitation, high-latitude convection and thermospheric winds, and their controlling drivers (e.g., solar wind, geomagnetic field configurations, ionospheric conductivity)

The detailed session description can be found on the following website:
https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_Interhemispheric_Approaches_to_Understand_M-I_Coupling_(IHMIC)

The first session (01:00-02:30 PM EDT) will be focused on asymmetric features in M-I-T coupling. The session (03:00-04:30 pm EDT) will be focused on discussions of controlling mechanisms.

We encourage workshop-style presentations, limiting each talk to less than 5 slides (~10 min) so the remaining time can be used for open discussions. In particular, we would like to spare some time to discuss strategies for the upcoming Decadal Survey. Please let us know in advance If there are any specific topics that need to be addressed for the Decadal Survey.

If you are interested in giving a talk, please send your presentation title to Hyomin Kim (hmkim at njit.edu).

We are looking forward to your participation at VGEM!

Hyomin Kim, Robert Lysak, Tomoko Matsuo, Dogacan Ozturk

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

SESSION: VGEM Focus Group "Magnetotail Dipolarization"Call for Participation

From: Adam Michael (adam.michael at jhuapl.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

The “Magnetotail Dipolarization and Its Effects on the Inner Magnetosphere” focus group would like to invite your participation in our VGEM sessions.

We are hosting two sessions, both in the afternoon on the first day of VGEM:
Monday, July 26 1:00 – 2:30 pm EDT
Monday, July 26 3:00 –4:30 pm EDT

As well as a third session to organize and discuss relevant white papers for the Decadal Survey on Thursday, July 29 3:00 –4:30 pm EDT.

For the 2 regular sessions on Monday, July 26, we solicit presentations within the scope of our focus group, especially those that pertain to the related mesoscale processes associated with magnetotail dipolarization and their impact on the inner magnetosphere. We also support the participation of early-career scientists and offer this as another occasion to present their work.

In preparation for the Decadal Survey discussion, we are asking those interested in, or plan to, lead a white paper to send the Focus Group chairs an email with a brief description of the topic. The tentative plan is to have a workshop-like session, providing an opportunity to introduce the leads and topics before splitting into breakout rooms to encourage discussion between people who would like to contribute in each topic.

Please submit contributed talks and white paper topics to Adam Michael (adam.michael at jhuapl.edu). If you have a preference on which session you would like to present in, please let us know as well and we will try and accommodate.

We look forward to seeing everyone soon at VGEM!

Christine, Drew, Matina, David, Slava, and Adam

9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9

SESSION: JSM 2021 "Statistical and Machine Learning Efforts on Solar Flare Predictions"