[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXX, Issue 28

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sun May 21 23:58:46 PDT 2023

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXX, Issue 28
May.21,2023

Table of Contents

1. SESSION: GEM Sessions for Focus Group “Understanding the causes of geomagnetic disturbances in geospace for hazard analysis on geomagnetically induced currents”

2. SESSION: GEM Sessions of FG SCIMM "Self-Consistent Inner Magnetospheric Modeling"

3. SESSION: GEM Special Session “Solar Eclipse Effects on the Geospace”

4. RBSP Online Seminar 26 May 12:00 ET US

5. New Heliophysics Data Application Programmer’s Interface to Intermagnet Data

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Xueling Shi (xueling7 at vt.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

We are cordially inviting you to participate in the GIC Focus Group Sessions that will take place during the 2023 GEM Workshop. Please take note of the scheduled GIC sessions:
1. GIC stand-alone session on Wednesday, 14 June 2023, 10:30-12:00, Pacific B
2. GIC-GBMA joint session on Wednesday, 14 June 2023, 13:30-15.00, Pacific A
3. IHMIC-GIC-MPEC joint session on Thursday, 15 June 2023, 10:30-12:00, Pacific A

These sessions will be organized based on their relevance to specific topics. If you’d like to present in the GIC stand-alone or IHMIC-GIC-MPEC  joint sessions, please contact Xueling Shi (xueling7 at vt.edu), Doga Ozturk (dsozturk at alaska.edu), and Hyomin Kim (hyomin.kim at njit.edu) with the title of your presentation and any other accommodations you might require if you are interested in presenting by June 5.

The GIC-GBMA joint session will begin with an introduction to both groups and a summary of recent activities, followed by updates from ULTIMA (international ground magnetometers), SuperMAG, and NSF. Most of the rest of the session will be for magnetometer network updates, with a  focus on one or more of (1) updates on network operational status, (2) science goals of the network and/or recent results, (3) how the network can be used to support wider GEM and Heliophysics research community goals (e.g., support for GDC, SMILE, and other current/future satellite missions, space weather nowcasts/forecasts), and (4) ideas and requests for sharing information across networks (e.g., new magnetometer technology, measurement techniques, using Starlink and other new tools). At the end of the session, we’ll have an open discussion. If you’d like to present a magnetometer network update, please contact Mike Hartinger (mdhartin1 at gmail.com) by June 5.

This is an in-person meeting, but we will try to accommodate virtual presentations where possible. For more and up-to-date information about the schedule, please see the GEM Wiki Page: https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_Understanding_the_causes_of_geomagnetic_disturbances_in_geospace_for_hazard_analysis_on_geomagnetically_induced_currents.

We look forward to seeing you and your active participation in GEM 2023!

Thank you,

Xueling Shi, Dogacan Ozturk, Zhonghua Xu, Mark Engbretson, and Erin Josh Rigler

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

SESSION: GEM Sessions of FG SCIMM "Self-Consistent Inner Magnetospheric Modeling"

From: Cristian Ferradas, Chao Yue, Jacob Bortnik, Qianli Ma (qma at bu.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to participate in the SCIMM (Self-Consistent Inner Magnetospheric Modeling) Focus Group sessions at this year's GEM Summer Workshop. We will have three sessions as follows:

1. SCIMM-CP joint session: Tuesday June 13, 03:30 pm — 05:30 pm PDT
2. SCIMM stand-alone session: Thursday June 15, 1:30 pm — 3:00 pm PDT
3. MPEC-SCIMM-ML joint session: Thursday June 15, 3:30 pm — 5:30 pm PDT

We solicit presentations about the recent research advances in ring current dynamics and wave-particle interactions in general. In addition, we invite presentations about the observation or modeling of the ring current environment during our challenge events: the May 27-30 2017, September 6-12 2017, and August 25-30 2018 geomagnetic storms.

We will also have two joint sessions this year. In the SCIMM-CP joint session, we invite research topics related to the cross-energy coupling between the ring current particles and the cold plasma population. In the MPEC-SCIMM-ML joint session, we invite research topics related to the particle precipitation from the ring current, and using machine learning technique to model the waves and particles in the ring current or the particle precipitation to the upper atmosphere.

Please contact Cristian Ferradas (cristian.ferradasalva at nasa.gov) and Qianli Ma (qma at bu.edu) to submit contributed talks. We will list the contributed talks and details of the sessions on the FG website at https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_Self-Consistent_Inner_Magnetospheric_Modeling.

Kind regards,

The SCIMM FG conveners (Cristian Ferradas, Chao Yue, Jacob Bortnik, and Qianli Ma)

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

SESSION: GEM Special Session “Solar Eclipse Effects on the Geospace”

From: Peter Chi (pchi at igpp.ucla.edu)

The October 2023 annual solar eclipse and the 2024 total solar eclipse in the contiguous United States are rare natural controlled experiments to investigate fundamental physical processes in the geospace induced by solar eclipses. The 2023 GEM Summer Workshop will hold a special session for the Geospace Environment Modeling (GEM) community and beyond to discuss observation and modeling plans for these upcoming major solar eclipse events that are separated by about six months.

This GEM special session on solar eclipses is a hybrid event scheduled at 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM Pacific Time on Friday, June 16. The 2023 GEM Summer Workshop will be held in San Diego during June 12-16 (see details at https://gemworkshop.org/). Remote participants of this workshop can register free of charge.

The session format will follow the GEM style that encourages interactions among participants. Interested experimenters and modelers are welcome to contact Peter Chi (pchi at igpp.ucla.edu) for presentation and/or participation.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

RBSP Online Seminar 26 May 12:00 ET US

From: Sasha Ukhorskiy (ukhorskiy at jhuapl.edu)

Next RBSP online seminar will be held on 26 May 2023, 12:00 ET US on the topic of Space Weather Impacts of Near-Earth Particle Radiation:

Justin Likar “Natural Space Environment (NSE) Effects on Space Flight System Design and Operations”

Yannis Daglis “Predicting Outer Van Allen Belt Dynamics with the Prototype SafeSpace Service”

For Zoom and YouTube streaming details please goto: https://sites.google.com/view/rbsp/home

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

New Heliophysics Data Application Programmer’s Interface to Intermagnet Data

From: Simon Flower (smf at bgs,ac,uk)

Intermagnet, the global network of ground-based observatories, monitoring the Earth's magnetic field, has added a “HAPI server” to its online data offering. When data are available from a HAPI server, there is no need to download data files and write custom file reader programs. Using a HAPI client library, data can be loaded into an array using a single command with IDL, Javascript, Java, MATLAB, and Python clients. Data from HAPI servers is also accessible to users of Autoplot, PySPEDAS, and IDL SPEDAS.

More details on HAPI can be found at https://hapi-server.org. Details on Intermagnet are at https://www.intermagnet.org. Intermagnet’s HAPI server is at https://hapi-server.org/servers/#server=INTERMAGNET.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison

AGU SPA Web Site: https://connect.agu.org/spa/home

SPA Leadership Team E-mail: spa.leadership.team at gmail.com