[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXX, Issue 29

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sun May 28 23:37:03 PDT 2023

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXX, Issue 29
May.28,2023

Table of Contents

1. NOAA Request for Information: Auroral Instrument Development

2. NSF Public Access GEO/BIO Listening Session – June 16 @ 1 PM EDT

3. MEETING: Space Weather Enterprise Forum

4. MEETING: Abstracts/Registration Open for PUNCH-4 Meeting (July 6-7, 2023)

5. MEETING: 47 AM "Optical Meeting", Stockholm, August 21-24 -- Extended Deadline

6. MEETING: Applied Space Environments Conference (ASEC) 2023:  Save the Date!

7. SESSION: GEM Sessions for the Focus Group “Comparative Planetary Magnetospheric Processes”

8. SESSION: GEM Sessions of Focus Group “The Impact of the Cold Plasma in Magnetospheric Physics”

9. Call for ISR World Day Proposals for CEDAR 2023 - Deadline 27 June 2023

10. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position at Andrews University

11. JOB OPENING: PostDoc Position in Solar or Magnetospheric  Theory -  University of St Andrews, UK

12. JOB OPENING: Ph.D. Student in Space Physics at KTH, Stockholm

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

NOAA Request for Information: Auroral Instrument Development

From: Irfan Azeem (irfan.azeem at noaa.gov)

Recently, NOAA recently released a Request for Information (RFI) to conduct a market survey related to auroral instrument development and related capabilities. The purpose of this RFI is to solicit vendor interest and capabilities to produce an instrument to provide imagery of the aurora for the detection and characterization of ionospheric disturbances. The auroral instrument must be capable of deployment on a LEO satellite. Responses to this RFI will be used to form an acquisition strategy for auroral instruments to develop NOAA’s observational capability and to facilitate advances in space weather forecasting. The link to the full RFI is https://sam.gov/opp/5810d1863ffc49e58cc7165616b235e4/view.

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

NSF Public Access GEO/BIO Listening Session – June 16 @ 1 PM EDT

From: Tai-Yin Huang (thuang at nsf.gov)

The NSF Public Access and Open Science Working Group is hosting a series of “listen and learn” sessions for external stakeholders to help inform ongoing implementation planning for NSF’s upcoming NSF Public Access Plan 2.0 (to be published on NSF’s public access website), which responds to the 2022 White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) directive on public access, known as the Nelson Memorandum.

NSF is hosting a listen and learn session on Friday, June 16, 2023, from 1:00 to 2:00 PM EDT, which will be oriented toward stakeholders from the Geosciences (GEO) and Biological Sciences (BIO) research communities, though all interested stakeholders are welcome to attend.

Please register in advance for this Zoom webinar here: https://nsf.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_ccHxTvYJTNSDRuIV3VWwAQ. (You may also sign up for the social science and education oriented public access webinar on June 2 and/or the computer science and engineering oriented webinar on June 29 via this same Zoom registration link.)

For more information about NSF public access activities, please visit NSF’s website on public access. For more information about the federal government-wide campaign on public access and open science, see the myriad information from federal agencies at the Year of Open Science website. In addition, OSTP is also holding a series of open science webinars in May and June, which may be of interest: https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/events-webinars/

I encourage you to attend these webinars to learn more about NSF Public Access Plan and ask your questions.

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

MEETING: Space Weather Enterprise Forum

From: Erin Lynch (erin.lynch at noaa.gov)

We are pleased to announce NOAA’s National Environmental Satellite Data and Information Service (NESDIS) is organizing the 2023 Space Weather Enterprise Forum on June 22, 2023 in Washington, DC on behalf of the Interagency Council for Advancing Meteorological Services (ICAMS). This year’s theme is “Harnessing Partnerships to Meet the Challenges of Extreme Space Weather.” Online registration is open. Register by 11:59 PM EDT on June 1 for in-person attendance. Remote attendees can register through June 16.

Please see the meeting website for details: https://cpaess.ucar.edu/meetings/space-weather-enterprise-forum-swef

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

MEETING: Abstracts/Registration Open for PUNCH-4 Meeting (July 6-7, 2023)

From: Sarah Gibson (sgibson at ucar.edu)

We invite you to join us in Boulder, Colorado on July 6-7, 2023 for a meeting for the in-development NASA PUNCH mission to image the outer corona and solar wind throughout the inner heliosphere.

Major science topics include the origin and evolution of the ambient solar wind and turbulence within it and the physics, tracking, and predictability of transient events including CMEs, CIRs, and shocks. In addition, we will have sessions on coronal jets, PUNCH extended impacts through outreach, student engagement, and space-weather inputs, connections to other missions/projects and modeling efforts, and PUNCH in the context of the international Heliophysics Great Observatory and the era of open data.

The registration link is now live on the PUNCH-4 meeting website (https://cpaess.ucar.edu/meetings/punch-4-science-meeting).  In addition, we are soliciting abstracts for contributed posters/talks -- deadline June 15, 2023.

Please note that this will be an in-person meeting. Talks will be streamed live and recorded for future inclusion on this website, but there will be no planned hybrid component.

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

MEETING: 47 AM "Optical Meeting", Stockholm, August 21-24 -- Extended Deadline

From: Jörg Gumbel (gumbel at misu.su.se)

7th Annual European Meeting on Atmospheric Studies by Optical Methods (“Optical Meeting”), Stockholm, Sweden, August 21-24, 2023.

www.su.se/misu/opticalmeeting

The deadline for abstract submission has been extended to May 31. Please see the meeting website for details. You are invited you to present and discuss new developments and applications of optical instrumentation ranging from the ground to space.

Meeting topics include:
(1) New developments in optical instrumentation from the ground, space and other platforms.
(2) Optical science from the troposphere to the thermosphere/ionosphere, including
     - atmospheric composition, aerosols and clouds
     - airglow
     - aurora
     - noctilucent clouds
     - meteors
     - sprites, jets etc.
(3) Optical calibration techniques.
(4) Analysis techniques.
(5) Optical atmospheric measurements in education.

Registration will open in June. There will be a conference fee of SEK 3500 (SEK 1500 for students and Ph.D. students).

Jörg Gumbel
on behalf of the Scientific Programme Committee (Lisa Baddeley, Jörg Gumbel, Donal Murtagh, Dan Whiter) and the Local Organizing Committee (Jörg Gumbel, Nickolay Ivchenko, Linda Megner, Donal Murtagh, Jacek Stegman)

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

MEETING: Applied Space Environments Conference (ASEC) 2023:  Save the Date!

From: Joseph Minow (joseph.minow at nasa.gov)

The Applied Space Environments Conference (ASEC2023) will be held the week of 9-13 October 2023 at the AC Hotel by Marriott in downtown Huntsville, Alabama.  ASEC is a forum for the space environment engineering and applied space science community to report recent advances in space environments, discuss the discipline's ability to support current space programs, and to identify gaps in knowledge and technology needs required to meet future crewed and robotic exploration goals.

More information on the conference, abstract submission, and registration will be coming soon.  Please watch for additional announcements and check the ASEC website.

ASEC link:  https://www.nasa.gov/nase/conferences/asec2023

We hope to see you there!

Joseph Minow, Insoo Jun, and Linda Parker

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

SESSION: GEM Sessions for the Focus Group “Comparative Planetary Magnetospheric Processes”

From: George Clark, Wen Li, Robert Marshall, Dan Gershman, Peter Delamere, Shannon Curry (wenli77 at bu.edu)

We are excited to announce the inaugural focus group (FG) on comparative planetary magnetospheric processes. There will be four sessions in total: two stand-alone sessions and two joint sessions (see below for details).
Stand-alone Sessions:
1.	Monday, 12 June 2023, 10:30 – 12:00, Pacific Time
2.	Tuesday, 13 June 2023, 13:30 – 15:00, Pacific Time
Joint Sessions:
1.	MPEC-COMP, Tuesday, 13 June 2023, 10:30 – 12:00, Pacific Time
2.	COMP-RB-DIP, Wednesday, 14 June 2023, 10:30 – 12:00, Pacific Time

In this inaugural FG, one of our main objectives is to gather community feedback on how to best pursue this topic to make meaningful progress in comparative magnetospheric processes. Therefore, we will have a series of scene setting talks followed by an open discussion session. In the open discussion part, we encourage participants to prepare 2-3 slides and be ready to share as the conversation evolves. One of our major goals is to unveil the wide range of questions that can be addressed by exploring the vast physical parameter space within our solar system. To achieve this goal, we need to access our modeling capabilities, evaluate the level of maturity of available data sets and theories, identify the community needs to facilitate future comparative studies, and establish effective strategies for coordinating efforts among different communities. Brief presentations that can facilitate these discussions are most welcome.

If you are interested in presenting, please contact George Clark (george.clark at jhuapl.edu) and Wen Li (wenli77 at bu.edu) with your presentation title by June 6th. However, please note that time is limited, and we are prioritizing a workshop style format with open discussions. Therefore, it may be the case that not everyone who wishes to present will have time to.  Virtual participation will be accommodated whenever possible. For remote participants, we encourage you to register for the GEM workshop (https://gemworkshop.org/registration/). By registering, you will be able to create an account that provides access to attend the sessions without any fee.

The detailed session agenda will be updated on the FG website below.
https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_Comparative_Planetary_Magnetospheric_Processes

Very Best,
George Clark (george.clark at jhuapl.edu)
Wen Li (wenli77 at bu.edu)
Robert Marshall (Robert.Marshall at colorado.edu)
Dan Gershman (daniel.j.gershman at nasa.gov)
Peter Delamere (padelamere at alaska.edu)
Shannon Curry (smcurry at berkeley.edu)

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

SESSION: GEM Sessions of Focus Group “The Impact of the Cold Plasma in Magnetospheric Physics”

From: Gian Luca Delzanno (delzanno at lanl.gov)

Dear colleagues,

A friendly reminder of the four sessions of the Cold Plasma focus group at the GEM summer workshop, June 11 – 16 2023 in San Diego (https://gemworkshop.org).

The first session will be on recent progress in cold plasma research. All types of relevant contributions are welcome.

The second session will be joint with the Focus Group ‘Self-Consistent Inner Magnetospheric Modeling’. All types of relevant contributions are welcome.

The third session will focus on the impact of the cold plasma on pulsating and diffuse aurora. Allison Jaynes will give a scene setting talk, followed by discussion with the audience. People interested in the connection between cold plasma and auroral forms (and more generally magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling) are strongly encouraged to participate in the discussion.

The fourth session will focus on the topic ‘The future of the Cold Plasma’. Here researchers will be limited to one slide emphasizing the ‘what’, ‘why’, ‘why now’ and ‘how’ of a given idea. Audience discussion will follow.

Please contact Gian Luca Delzanno (delzanno at lanl.gov) if you are interested in contributing to any of these sessions. The specific format for the first two sessions will be communicated at a later time.

Thanks,
Gian Luca Delzanno on behalf of the Cold Plasma FG leaders

9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9

Call for ISR World Day Proposals for CEDAR 2023 - Deadline 27 June 2023

From: Lindsay Goodwin (lindsay.v.goodwin at njit.edu)

Hello All,

I would like to encourage you all to submit your proposals for ISR World Day experiments and observations for the year 2024 before 27th June 2023. These proposals will be presented during the "Incoherent Scatter Working Group” meeting (https://cedarscience.org/workshop/2023-workshop-world-day-planning-meeting) that will take place at CEDAR on Thursday 29th June 2023. At this meeting, we will begin preliminary discussions for potential 2024 ISR world day operations, and have other general ISR discussions. You are also welcomed to participate in the meeting and discussions.

"World Day" operations are an opportunity to direct the global network of radars towards a single scientific objective for time scales of a few days. Guidelines for applying for a World Day are at the following link, as is a template for the application: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YzYMNr4GhLFJKKhotHWo_1A7RxRf5JaY?usp=sharing Please send applications to lindsay.v.goodwin at njit.edu

If you wish to be included as a participant in the discussion this year, but cannot travel to CEDAR, then please send an email to me. If you are an ISR operator or responsible for ISR world day planning for a radar, also please contact me so that I can ensure that the email list is up to date. If you have benefitted from World Day operations in the past we would be very pleased to hear from you with details.  It is good to assess how effective these experiments are, and useful for the radar operators when reporting to their funding bodies.

10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position at Andrews University

From: Jay Johnson (jrj at andrews.edu)

A Postdoctoral position is available at Andrews University to do research in space physics.  We currently have research projects to study wide ranging phenomena at the Sun and planetary magnetospheres and ionospheres, including KH instabilities, solar wind-magnetosphere coupling, magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling, ionospheric scintillations, solar cycle and flare dynamics, plasma transport and circulation in the magnetospheres of the Earth, Jupiter, and Saturn.  Our research is characterized by strong integration of theory, modeling, and observations.  We have been applying advanced statistical techniques and data analytics such as information theory in many of our studies.  We are seeking a Post-Doctoral fellow with background and interests in theory, modeling, and/or data analysis in any of the above topics. Please email inquiries and application package (CV, cover letter, references) to Prof. Jay Johnson at jrj at andrews.edu.  The work location is at Andrews University, Berrien Springs, but remote work is also possible.  Our group provides a supportive environment for young scientists to thrive.  Andrews University fully supports and embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.  Women and under-represented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.

11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11

JOB OPENING: PostDoc Position in Solar or Magnetospheric  Theory -  University of St Andrews, UK

From: Thomas Neukirch (tn3 at st-andrews.ac.uk)

The Solar and Magnetospheric Theory Group, University of St Andrews, UK, is advertising a position for a Postdoctoral Research Assistant to work in either solar or magnetospheric theory. The post is funded for 18 months by the UK's Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).

Application deadline: 19th June 2023.

For further details and to submit an application, please go to https://www.vacancies.st-andrews.ac.uk/Vacancies/W/5546/0/392738/889/research-fellow-in-the-solar-and-magnetospheric-theory-group-ar2828do.

Informal enquiries should be addressed to Thomas Neukirch (tn3 at st-andrews.ac.uk).

12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12

JOB OPENING: Ph.D. Student in Space Physics at KTH, Stockholm

From: Andris Vaivads (vaivads at kth.se)

We are looking for a Ph.D. student to work on MMS and Cluster multipoint measurements to study electron acceleration in magnetic reconnection and auroral acceleration processes. The last application date is June 9.

More information: https://www.kth.se/en/om/work-at-kth/lediga-jobb/what:job/jobID:626147/type:job/where:4/apply:1

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison

AGU SPA Web Site: https://connect.agu.org/spa/home

SPA Leadership Team E-mail: spa.leadership.team at gmail.com