[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXX, Issue 50

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 20 08:21:23 PDT 2023

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXX, Issue 50
Sep.20,2023

Table of Contents

1. Join the Nomination Task Force and Make a Difference!

2. MEETING: 4th CGS Workshop

3. MEETING: Announcement for 8th WMO Workshop on the Impact of Various Observing Systems on Numerical Weather Prediction and Earth System Prediction

4. E-SWAN Webinars on the Environmental Sustainability of Space Activities

5. JOB OPENING: NCAR HAO & ASP: Postdoc Positions

6. JOB OPENING: Ph.D. Student in Space Physics at KTH, Stockholm

7. RHESSI Nuggets, Summer 2023

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Join the Nomination Task Force and Make a Difference!

From: Dogacan Su Ozturk (dsozturk at alaska.edu)

Dear colleagues,

As we celebrate the achievements of our colleagues recognized by the AGU Honors Program this week, we invite you to consider joining the Space Physics and Aeronomy Nomination Task Force (NTF) for its 7th year.

The NTF, founded in 2017, is dedicated to identifying deserving SPA members from historically marginalized groups and nominating them for awards and honors, thereby building a diverse pipeline for awards committees. The NTF offers valuable support in finding suitable awards, forming nomination teams, and assembling nomination packages from start to finish.

How You Can Get Involved:

- Volunteer and become a member of the NTF: Join the NTF (https://forms.gle/rnyanX5XWCmDK7Z68)
- Suggest a colleague as a nominee: Nominate a Colleague (https://forms.gle/SfarKfHsLrHbuv1r6)

NTF meetings are held monthly before the nomination cycle begins and bi-weekly during the cycle. For more information, including an FAQ, please visit our website (https://connect.agu.org/spa/committees/ntf). If you have any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact us at agu.spa.nominationtaskforce at gmail.com.

Your participation is crucial in promoting diversity and recognizing excellence in our field.

Dogacan Su Ozturk
NTF Chair, 2023-2024

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

MEETING: 4th CGS Workshop

From: Michael Wiltberger (wiltbemj at ucar.edu)

Dear colleagues,

The team of the Center for Geospace Storms (CGS) would like to bring to the community's attention a hybrid workshop we are planning to hold on November 13-15, 2023. The in-person component will be held in Center Green Auditorium on NCAR/HAO campus in Boulder, Colorado.

The purpose of the workshop is to bring together experts, early career scientists and students in the fields of space and atmospheric sciences, for an open-forum discussion of outstanding issues in the physics of geospace storms as well as ways to broaden participation in our field.  While some of the details are still being finalized, we are pleased to announce the release of the first version of our agenda including an excellent array of speakers with numerous early career scientists.  We will also have a student showcase on the first day that has presentations from students that spent time over the summer doing internships with CGS team members.

Participation in the hybrid workshop is free but requires registration which must be completed by Friday November 3.  The workshop website is online at cgs.jhuapl.edu/workshop including the registration page.

We look forward to seeing you at the workshop!

Michael Wiltberger
On behalf of the CGS Team!

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Irfan Azeem (irfan.azeem at noaa.gov)

On behalf of the Science Organizing Committee (SOC), I would like to bring to your attention an announcement of the 8th WMO Workshop on the Impact of Various Observing Systems on Numerical Weather Prediction and Earth System Prediction.

The workshop will be hosted by the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute (SMHI), at their headquarters in Norrköping, Sweden, from 27 to 30 May 2024.

For the first time, we are including space weather as one of the topical areas of this workshop. The online abstract submission is now open and will remain open until 15 December 2023. All the abstracts will be evaluated by SOC and a draft workshop program will be announced at the beginning of 2024.

For more details, please visit the workshop website at https://community.wmo.int/en/meetings/8th-wmo-impact-workshop-home. Should you have any further questions regarding the workshop, do not hesitate to contact us via the workshop email address: nwp8 at wmo.int.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

E-SWAN Webinars on the Environmental Sustainability of Space Activities

From: Thierry Dudok de Wit (ddwit at cnrs-orleans.fr)

The Sustainability Working Group of the European Space Weather and Space Climate Association (E-SWAN, https://www.eswan.eu/) is initiating a series of webinars that address the many aspects of the sustainability of our space activities. Our objective is to examine the environmental impacts of our activities to search for alternative, less damaging, ways of working. This series of webinars will culminate with a mini-workshop on the same issues, as well as a plenary session during the European Space Weather Week (Toulouse, 20-24 November 2023, https://esww2023.org/).

The first three webinars will respectively address

The energy challenges of digital technology and artificial intelligence: how to reconcile technological progress and ecological transition, by David Hill (ISIMA/LIMOS, Université Clermont-Auvergne, France), on Thursday, 21th September 2023, 15h CEST

The future of scientific meetings, by Vanessa Moss (CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science: Marsfield, Australia) on Thursday 12 October

Life-cycle assessments, by Andrew Ross Wilson (University of Strathclyde, UK) on Thursday 19 October

Each webinar lasts approximately one hour and will be made available on the Youtube channel of E-SWAN. Detailed information may be found on the STCE website at https://www.stce.be/calendar

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

JOB OPENING: NCAR HAO & ASP: Postdoc Positions

From: Roberto Casini (casini at ucar.edu)

The High Altitude Observatory (HAO) at the National Center for Atmospheric Research
offers postdoctoral fellowships to early career Ph.D. scientists interested in theoretical, experimental and observational studies of the Sun, the Earth’s upper atmosphere and the coupled solar and terrestrial system. Successful applicants will pursue research, in collaboration with members of the HAO scientific staff, on a wide range of topics, including studies of the Earth’s mesosphere, thermosphere, ionosphere and magnetosphere; observations and simulations of coronal mass ejections; spectropolarimetric observations and interpretation using HAO instrumentation and data inversion tools; probing solar magnetism through observations and modeling; and instrument development. See https://www2.hao.ucar.edu/partnerships/visitor-program/postdoctoral-fellows for further detail, or contact Kathy Peczkowicz (kathyp at ucar.edu) or Roberto Casini (casini at ucar.edu) for further information.

The HAO postdoc program is closely coordinated with the postdoc program of NCAR’s Advanced Study Program (ASP) and prospective applicants should apply through ASP and specify HAO as their host laboratory. ASP invites applications for Postdoctoral Fellowships in areas broadly related to NCAR strategic priorities (https://ncar.ucar.edu/who-we-are/strategic-plan), including Earth system science and actionable science. Candidates should have completed their Ph.D. or should expect to complete their degree requirements by the end of September 2024. Applications from all related fields are welcomed. Prior to submitting your application, please review application instructions here: https://asp.ucar.edu/postdocs/prospective-applicants.

Fellowships are for 2 years and carry an annual salary of $73,000, travel budget of $3500 annually, in addition to a relocation allowance and full health and retirement benefits. The deadline for applications is October 31, 2023.

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

JOB OPENING: Ph.D. Student in Space Physics at KTH, Stockholm

From: Andris Vaivads (vaivads at kth.se)

We are looking for a Ph.D. student to work on the Parker Solar Probe measurements to study the region around the critical Alfvén surface where the solar wind goes from being sub-Alfvénic at smaller distances to being super-Alfvénic at larger distances.

More information:
https://www.kth.se/en/om/work-at-kth/lediga-jobb/what:job/jobID:656246/type:job/where:4/apply:1

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

RHESSI Nuggets, Summer 2023

From: Hugh Hudson (Hugh.Hudson at glasgow.ac.uk)

No. 450, "Solar flare hard X-rays from the anchor points of an eruptive filament ," by Muriel STIEFEL: A rare "four-ribbon" flare has been detected in hard X-rays.

No. 451, "Statistical study of Type III bursts and associated HXR emissions," by Nicole VILMER and Tomin JAMES: Linking electron populations escaping from the Sun with those that RHESSI detects.

No. 452, "Spatial Distribution of Magnetic Reconnection Rate in an M6.5 Solar Flare," by Ju JING: Linking hard X-rays to high-resolution images that show reconnection rates.

No. 453, "Temporal and Spatial Characteristics of Hard X-Ray Sources in Flare Model with Vertical Current Sheet," by Alexander SHABALIN, Eugenia OVCHINNIKOVA, and Yuri CHARIKOV: Modeling betatron acceleration in current-sheet development.

No. 454, "TeV Gamma rays from the Quiescent Sun," by Mehr Un NISA and John Beacom: Solar photons at unprecedented high energies.

No. 455, "Introducing SunSketcher," by Hugh HUDSON and Gordon EMSLIE: Galloping towards roundup in the 2024 total solar eclipse.

We welcome almost any contribution to the RHESSI Nuggets. The topic may wander some distance away from specifically RHESSI results if it is generally interesting. See http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~tohban/wiki/index.php/RHESSI_Science_Nuggets for these and others. Comments about specific flares can often be found by searching for their SOLyyyy-mm-dd identifier from this home page.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison

AGU SPA Web Site: https://connect.agu.org/spa/home

SPA Leadership Team E-mail: spa.leadership.team at gmail.com