[W6YRA] arko balloon update & misc shack stuff

Ryan Caron rcaron at igpp.ucla.edu
Sat May 24 18:05:49 PDT 2014

Good day today. Tracked the arko balloon from start to finish, which was a nice real-time demonstrated on thermal/frequency instabilities. We collected a lot of pictures from the balloon, as well as position packets, but the positions were usually thrown out due to checksum errors.

Since other stations were also tracking, and we were able to talk to the balloon owner, we determined the errors are actually the result of a bug on the balloon's microcontroller, and not indicative of a bad RF link.

The balloon stopped transmitting at burst again, but we were able to track the carrier the whole time. Surprisingly the RTTY data resumed at some point on descent, which indicated the microcontroller restarted. More pictures came down, but no GPS.

Once again it went to carrier, and quickly faded away, which we interpret as it hitting the ocean.

Unfortunately the UHF satellite yagi's coax fell apart again this afternoon, so we're lucky we were able to track today. Practice makes perfect.

Other activities