[W6YRA] repeater antenna update

Ryan Caron rcaron at igpp.ucla.edu
Sat May 24 18:06:20 PDT 2014

The stacked dipoles have a SWR of about 4:1 when we brought the FT-5100 (~35W) onto the roof. Just a couple 2 foot patch cables and the SWR meter inline. There is certainly no shortage of corrosion up there to be the cause.

We've moved the repeater over to the short yagi (for real this time) and ran its coax inside the shack. Those who have been around for awhile may remember this coax went down the side of the building to the 5th floor for a professor's ocean buoy data collection. Since then the antenna has been donated to us, and it has been a very large excessively long pile of coax on the roof. Its SWR is much lower, about 1.6:1, but at least it is a real figure.

Obviously a yagi is the wrong antenna for a repeater; this is just a temporary solution to keep us on the air while we figure out how to repair the stacked dipoles (or replace them).

73,
NX1U