[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 15

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu May 11 17:19:36 PDT 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 15
May.11,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. Call for Students and Judges for the GEM Student Poster Competition (SPC)

2. SCOSTEP/VarSITI Newsletter Vol.13

1. Call for Students and Judges for the GEM Student Poster Competition (SPC)
From: Suzanne Smith (suzanne.e.smith at nasa.gov)

Hello to All

Call for students and judges for the GEM Student Poster Competition (SPC)!

For those new to GEM, since last year we (the Student Reps) have hosted the SPC. We organize the judges, craft the ballots, and tabulate the scores. The goal of the SPC is to practice and hone presentation and public speaking skills regarding our respective research. Ballots are designed to be feedback based, with comments offering constructive criticism. Last year, many students reported enjoying the competition and found the feedback very helpful. We strongly encourage everyone to enter.

The poster competition (like AGU) is optional. You must sign yourself up. The deadline for signing up is June 18, 11:59 PM (GEM Student Day).  You may sign yourself up with the following link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfNO1PEBt24uaN2cqsK6EvB9ONncUT5njXqvwLrt29TKG4HPA/viewform?usp=sf_link

You still need to formally register to give a poster on the GEM Website (left side of the webpage):
http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/poster.html

The deadline to submit a poster is May 14, 2017. On this webpage you'll see an SPC submission on the right side, IGNORE THIS. The links attached to this submission are not properly working at the present time.

For more information, see the GEM Student Wiki:
http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/GEM_Student_Forum#GEM_Poster_Guidelines

Winners of the SPC will be announced later in the GEM week. All ballots will be returned to students during GEM week or emailed later.

FOR JUDGES: We need your help to provide feedback to the students. If interested please sign up at this link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSckPCxWQvMb83ojx2a8IRdvgwM_pFRdWCgZ0n-5OGJq4lzxdA/viewform?usp=sf_link

We fully encourage everyone to participate in the SPC.
Thank you.

2. SCOSTEP/VarSITI Newsletter Vol.13
From: Kazuo Shiokawa (shiokawa at nagoya-u.jp)

SCOSTEP's VarSITI (Variability of the Sun and Its Terrestrial Impact, 2014-2018)

VarSITI Newsletter volume 13 has now been published.  The PDF file is available at
http://newserver.stil.bas.bg/varsiti/newsL/VarSITI_Newsletter_Vol13.pdf

Below are the contents of this volume.

Contents of VarSITI Newsletter Volume 13

Articles
  1. Arase (ERG) Launch
  2. Digitization of 29,296 Drawings of Sunspots on the Solar Disk made at the Zurich Observatory since 1883

Highlight on Young Scientists
  1. Ryan McGranaghan/ USA
  2. Ville Maliniemi/ Finland

Meeting Report
  1. 40th Annual Seminar“Physics of the auroral phenomena", Apatity, Russia, 13-17 March 2017
  2. The "10 Years Neutron Monitor Data Base" Workshop
  3. Summary report of Data Analysis Workshop on Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) and Radio Bursts: Mekelle, Ethiopia

Upcoming Meetings

Short News
  1. "MiniMax" Julia K. Thalmann received EGU Arne Richter Award

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html