[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXX, Issue 21

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 11 00:43:08 PDT 2023

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXX, Issue 21
Apr.11,2023

Table of Contents

1. Obituary: Götz Paschmann

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Obituary: Götz Paschmann

From: Gerhard Haerendel (hae at mpe.mpg.de)

My long-term colleague and friend, Dr. Dr. h.c. Goetz Paschmann, deceased on 22 February at age 83. He was one of the leading scientists in the group of Near-Earth Plasma Physics at the Max Planck Institute for extraterrestrial Physics, MPE. He joined our institute in 1968 in order to perform his doctoral thesis research under the guidance of Reimar Lüst and Dieter Hovestadt. He analyzed data on auroral particles gained by Dick Sharp and Ed Shelley as Visiting Scientist at the Palo Alto Research Laboratory from 1968 to 1970. He got his doctoral degree from the Technical University Munich in 1971. As staff member at the MPE from 1971 to 1978, he gained international reputation for his work on the magnetospheric boundary layers with data from a novel instrument on the ESRO spacecraft HEOS 2 built by Helmut Rosenbauer at MPE.

In 1978, Goetz was Visiting Scientist at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL).  With Sam Bame of LANL he shared the PI-ship of the plasma analyzers on the NASA missions, ISEE 1 and 2. With data from a magnetopause transit of the spacecraft, his team succeeded to verify for the first time ever the working of the reconnection process in space. The Nature paper of 1979 was probably the most important publication of MPE in space physics. From 1978 onward, he was Senior Staff Member at MPE and Head Space Plasma physics. Subsequently, Goetz was PI on the ill-fated Firewheel mission in 1980 and of the plasma analyzer on AMPTE-IRM, the spacecraft with which we succeeded to create two artificial comets in 1984/85. One of his important discoveries with AMPTE, jointly with Wolfgang Baumjohann, was the identification of the flow bursts, which carry the energy liberated by reconnection in the magnetic tail towards the nighttime magnetosphere generating substorms, spectacular auroral displays, and strong geomagnetic perturbations.

>From 1999 to 2005, Goetz was Director at the International Space Science Institute in Berne for six months per year, in succession of Bengt Hultqvist. During this period, he led the production of the book “Auroral Plasma Physics”, jointly with Stein Haaland and Rudolf Treumann, and with contributions from 32 European and US colleagues. It became the reference book in this field.

Goetz Paschmann was also one of the driving forces behind the Cluster mission of ESA. With strong international contributions, among others by Carl McIlwain, Jack Quinn, and Roy Torbert, he led the building and operation of the electron drift instrument, EDI. It allowed, with help of an electron beam emitted from one side of the spacecraft and detected on the other side, to derive the magnitude of the magnetic field and the electric field with high precision from the delay and displacement of the beam after one gyroperiod. This instrument was the most complex product ever emerging from our group.

After his retirement in 2004, Goetz continued his research with unbroken intensity. Using data from the Magnetospheric Multi-Scale Mission, MMS, in close cooperation with a great many international colleagues, such as Bengt Sonnerup, Tai Phan, Stein Haaland, Jack Gosling, and Roy Torbert, he generated a strong output of papers on subjects like discontinuities in the solar wind, reconnection, convection in the magnetosphere and the like. At MPE, he was sharing an office with Berndt Klecker and Manfred Scholer. In
2004, he was bestowed the honorable doctor’s degree of the Institute of Geophysics of the Ludwig-Maximilian’s University, for his important contributions to the external geophysics. In 1994 he became Fellow of the AGU and Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, London. In 2003, he received the Hannes Alfvén Medal of the European Geophysical Union and, in the same year, he held the James Van Allen Lecture at the Fall AGU Meeting.

The decease of Goetz is a great loss for science and for a great number of friends he won in the course of his scientific career. We have been friends since his joining MPE. I enjoined intensely working with him, exchanging ideas or solving problems. Our friendship included his wife, Karin, and the two growing families. Besides Karin, he leaves behind his daughter, Ulrike, his son, Andreas, and their respective spouses and descendants.

Gerhard Haerendel
Garching, 02 March, 2023

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison

AGU SPA Web Site: https://connect.agu.org/spa/home

SPA Leadership Team E-mail: spa.leadership.team at gmail.com